Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources
NON-ACADEMIC STAFF VACANCY
Position: University Chaplain
Employment Type: Fixed Contract (Renewable)
Duration: Two Years
The Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to be considered for the post of University Chaplain in the University. The Incumbent shall be responsible for supporting the spiritual and emotional well-being of the University community, fostering a sense of community, and contributing to the overall educational and personal development of students.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide spiritual and pastoral care to students, faculty, and staff.
- Offer counseling, support, and guidance to individuals or groups facing personal, academic, or spiritual challenges.
- Conduct religious services, ceremonies, and rituals according to the university’s traditions or the diverse needs of the community.
- Organize and lead worship services, prayer meetings, and other religious activities.
- Foster a sense of community and inclusivity among students and staff, regardless of their religious or spiritual backgrounds.
- Collaborate with other university departments to create and support programs that promote holistic well-being.
- Provide support during times of crisis, such as natural disasters, accidents, or other emergencies. Assist in coordinating and participating in memorial services or events.
- Develop and lead educational programs related to spirituality, ethics, and moral development.
- Collaborate with academic departments to integrate spiritual and ethical perspectives into the curriculum.
- Foster interfaith dialogue and understanding among students and staff.
- Encourage respect for diversity and religious pluralism on campus.
- Serve as an advisor to student religious groups or organizations on campus.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to students exploring their faith or spiritual journey.
- Manage administrative responsibilities related to the chaplaincy, such as budgeting, record- keeping, and reporting.
- Collaborate with other university administrators on matters related to campus life and student well-being.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by relevant University Authorities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Theology, Religious Studies, Divinity Pastoral Counseling, or a related field.
- Formal ordination or commissioning as a religious leader within the applicable faith tradition. Certification or recognition by a religious body or denomination.
- Previous experience in pastoral care, counseling, or a related field is typically preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to provide emotional and spiritual support to individuals and groups.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively connect with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Training or experience in pastoral counseling or counseling psychology may be beneficial.
- Ability to foster a sense of community and inclusivity among diverse groups.
Conditions of Engagement:
Successful candidate will be engaged on a 2-year fixed contract renewable based on satisfactory performance.
Method Of Application
Hard copy application package should include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV), names and contact details of three traceable referees one of which should be current employer where applicable plus copies of certified academic and professional qualifications. The title of the position must be indicated on the envelope and sent to:
The University Registrar
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR)
P.O. Box 219
All applications should reach the UNIVERSITY not later than Friday, 9th February, 2024. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
LUANAR is an equal opportunity employer hence females are encouraged to apply.