Tropha Estates Limited
Position: Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Farm Supervisor
Tropha Estates Limited, an agricultural investment business based at Ekwendeni, Mzimba Malawi, invites applications from suitably qualified, dynamic and commercially minded personnel for the position of HSE Farm Supervisor.
The HSE Farm Supervisor will report to the Senior Manager and is the primary interface point for ESG issues at the farm. The candidate will be responsible for the implementation of ESG controls and procedures and is the focal point for ensuring the commitment of the workforce to the HSE rules and regulations. The position demands very high discipline and accountability as the successful candidate will be required to manage the ESG affairs of the farm.
Your key purpose will be to:
- Support the HSE Manager to monitor and further develop the existing Environmental and Social
Management System (ESMS) to ensure it remains in accordance with Good International Industry Practice
- Build organisation knowledge and professional capability to drive continuous improvements in
HSE at farm level.
- Be responsible for the delivery of Tropha’s HSE obligations at farm level with a particular focus on identified Health and Safety (HSE) requirements
- Ensure that all of Trophas plans and policies relating to HSE are being adhered to and are
understood by staff members at the farm.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To take responsibility for the overall performance of the company at farm level in terms of HSE
- To assist in the development and compliance of ESMS addressing environmental and social, health and safety.
- To assist in the monitoring of and compliance with the corporate health and safety management
system (as part of the ESMS) including but not restricted to; conducting OHS risk assessments and developing site level OHS management plans and emergency preparedness and response plans; and monitoring and reviewing the performance of implementation
- To assist on the development of a safety culture across all Tropha’s farm operations and teams
- To undertake HS Audits and workplace inspections to make sure that Health and Safety policies
are being followed.
- To build capacity on HSE by conducting regular trainings and induction on health & safety issues as required
- To investigate incidents and accidents, and respond to emergencies as needed
- To coordinate and organise the farm level ESG committee formation and meetings
- To ensure the application of the employee grievance management procedure at farm level
- To approve permits and conditions pertaining to HSE including permits to work and safe job
- To collate and present information to support reporting of HSE matters to the HSE Manager
- To collate and present information to support reporting of HSE matters to the Farm Health and
Safety Committee including demonstrating compliance with ESAP requirements
- To coordinate “right-to-know” programs regarding hazardous chemicals or other substances, and safety procedures.
- To monitoring systems for the sites, including file management on site for Toolbox talks and topics, ongoing skills and training development, SOPs, Permits to work, incident reports, monitoring First Aid kits, etc. Ensuring first aid kits are appropriately stocked to type of activities anticipated on sites, etc
Key measures and targets to be followed during the course of the contract:
- Monitor and maintain performance of the ESMS at farm level.
- Develop effective HSE operational procedures and practices at farm level.
- Implement identified actions within the farm-specific ESAP to the required standards and
- Demonstrate through regular monitoring and inspection, the improved performance of the farm on HSE matters, including on the number of incidents and accidents.
- Identify risks and maintain a farm risk register
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal stakeholders on HSE matters.
- Maintain a functioning farm ESG committee.
- Successfully deliver key projects and initiatives to agreed standard and timelines.
Tropha is looking for candidates with the following qualifications, experience and attributes:
- Demonstrable HSE knowledge and experience (minimum 5 years)
- At least a BSc in natural sciences or qualified in relevant HSE subjects
- Significant experience in Environmental, Social and Governance management in accordance
with International Finance Corporation performance standards and Good International Industry
Practice, in the agribusiness and forestry sectors
- Proven practical experience in the management of sites, preferably in the agribusiness and
- Strong leadership qualities and capable of directing, developing and motivating teams across
- Experience in monitoring, inspecting and reporting
- Knowledge of community relations and development in emerging countries
- Effective communicator with excellent persuasive and interpersonal skills and demonstrable
experience in supporting and mentoring staff to build technical HSE capacity
- Excellent reporting writing and presentation skills
- Results focused with the resilience to deliver in a challenging environment
- Proficiency in using computer applications e.g. MS Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Fluency in Chichewa and Tumbuka will be an advantage
Method of Application
Interested Individuals meeting the stated requirements should submit their applications including updated detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) and copies of professional certificates to the address below (in person, or by mail or by e-mail) by Friday, 1st March, 2024:
The Managing Director
Tropha Estates Limited
P. O. Box 45
(Attention: The Human Resources Manager)
Alternatively, applications may be emailed to: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org