CIC Co-operatives General Insurance
TITLE: Assistant Underwriter
DEPARTMENT: CIC – Life
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed
The Assistant underwriter is expected to Assess, analyse and accept risks in the company, he/she is required to set up rules which will result in securing an average proportion of good risks in order to keep average claims cost low and to enable the company to offer assurance at a lower net cost.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Underwriting Manager – CIC Life
- Group Life Sales Representatives
- Claims Department
- All CIC staff
- Service providers
- Financial Interagency Authority
- Credit Bureaus
- Insurance Associations
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
The Assistant Underwriter is expected to perform the following duties;
- Processing renewals
- Assessing, analyzing and accepting risk
- Updating premiums in customers’ accounts
- Premium Reconciliation
- Calculating quarterly premiums for Reinsurers
- Preparing and maintaining agents Commission statements
- Handling of customer complaints, disputes and resolve them swiftly, fairly and diplomatically
- Participating in product development exercise
- Ensuring adherence and compliance so that no suspicious transactions are registered by setting
up underwriting standards
- Monitoring and review of policy documents
- Preparing monthly and annual Reports on Group Credit Life, Group Life Assurance, Group Funeral and Ordinary Life
- Ensure that performance standards/benchmarks are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure that all statutory requirements are adhered to at all times.
- Keeping records of all paid policies and schemes
- Preparing competitive quotations for prospective clients
- Ensure medicals are done on time
- Liaising with the Banks on deductions reports
- Any other duties assigned by management from time to time.
- Comply with CIC Africa policies and procedures.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Doing the best in everything we do with total commitment
- Clarity and openness in all transaction
- Attaining goals through cooperation
- Embracing a Culture that encourages keenness, enthusiasm, passion, creativity and Innovation.
- Adhere to high moral standards and ethical values at all times
- Responsive to customer needs, going the extra Mile
- Minimum of Diploma in Insurance.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 2 years work experience in the relevant field.
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity
- Excellent planning, coordination and reporting skills
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- High integrity
- Consistent and decisive
- Self-Driven and self-starter
- Pleasant and friendly
- Fair and objective
- Presentable and smart
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience. Additional job responsibilities
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the CIC Equal Opportunities and
Diversity policies and procedures.
Method Of Application
Applications to be sent by 20th January 2024 to Recruitment.Malawi@mw.cicinsurancegroup.com