Youth Wave Malawi
Youth Wave is an innovative Malawian youth-led NGO. Our programmatic focus includes; Health (SRHR, HIV, Mental Health), Education, Gender Equality, Civic Engagement and Advocacy. Youth Wave is looking for an experienced individual to play a vital role in the MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo Activity as the Youth Inclusion & Engagement Technical Advisor.
The MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo project is a five-year (August 2022 – August 2027) USAID-funded project aimed at reducing maternal, newborn, and child morbidity and mortality through improved access and quality of health service delivery, with a particular focus on Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (MNCH), Family Planning (FP) and Reproductive Health (RH), Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Malaria prevention and treatment.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY FOR YOUTH INCLUSION AND ENGAGEMENT TECHNICAL ADVISOR:
- In liaison with the MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo Technical Lead, support continuous assessments of Adolescents & Youth needs and implementation of meaningful youth interventions, ensuring clear implementation strategies in line with MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo theory of change and objectives.
- In close consultation with the MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo Technical Lead and other Technical Advisors, provide technical assistance to the MOH and other in-country development partners, including support to the development of relevant youth-focused national plans, strategies and policies.
- In close collaboration with MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo SBC team, contribute to the provision of technical assistance for the development and implementation of youth-related behavior change strategies and activities with a particular focus on inclusion and engagement programing.
- In collaboration with Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) colleagues, with technical input from the Youth, Nutrition, SBC, Maternal and Newborn Child Health Advisors support the development of feasible and effective monitoring approaches for Adolescents and Youths programming. Where necessary provide technical training for project staff and partners as required.
- In liaison with the MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo Technical Lead and RH/FP Technical Advisor, coordinate with external partners to support the development of training curricula, supervision and monitoring tools, communication materials, job aids and other technical materials to support the implementation of SRH interventions by MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo and other organizations.
- Support the process of generating lessons and sharing of learning to ensure high quality programming, with support from the MEAL, coordinating the collection of documentation across all the MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo thematic focused areas.
Program Design and Implementation
- In liaison with other MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo Technical Advisors, review Youth component of the MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo annual work plan to ensure alignment with quality standards and main priorities and goals of the project and that of the nation.
- Conduct periodic field visits to the MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo district offices and project sites to coordinate with district coordinators and staff, and the government counterparts to monitor the technical quality of ASRH-focused interventions; work with implementation teams to understand impacts, operational challenges, and continuously identify opportunities for learning and improvement.
- Coordination with Youth Inclusion & Engagement Officers in contributing to development of quality and timely donor reports; working closely with program implementation and SBC colleagues as needed.
Networking & External Engagement and advocacy
- Serve as Youth Wave’s focal person on MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo Youth interventions under the leadership of the Executive Director and support while collaborating with the MOH, USAID, UN agencies, other NGOs, donor agencies, academic and research institutions, professional bodies and other in-country multi stakeholders.
- In alignment with the Youth Wave’s strategy and leadership, engage in strategic positioning with donors, partners and government line ministries. Ensure that Youth Wave is influencing and learning from others through national technical coordination and networking bodies such as youth, health, education and gender technical working groups.
- Ensure that the diverse voices of adolescents, girls and boys are equitably heard and represented in SRHR work and meaningfully engaged.
- Represent MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo in national and local government fora, donors, partner agencies, etc. as required.
- Participate in the project activity meetings as required and ensure effective flow of information and feedback between Youth Wave and consortium partners.
- Leverage and liaise with technical colleagues from across consortium partners, including technical working groups, ensuring that learning from the MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo is shared with others and global lessons are brought back for our learning and adaptation.
- Represent Youth Wave in relevant internal and external fora.
MEAL, Collaborating Learning and Adaptation
- Contribute to organizational learning on Youth Inclusion & Engagement ensuring that learning from our programs is shared across the MOH, Country Office and our partners, as well as with colleagues in the wider regional and global health, FP/RH, MNCH, malaria & nutrition, plus WASH community.
- Provide support to MOMENTUM Tikweze Umoyo in developing youth indicators that align with USAID indicators, the Global Results Framework and Country Strategic Plans, monitoring quality benchmarks and supporting high-quality evaluations, formative assessments, and research.
- In collaboration with other Technical Advisors, MEAL and other technical colleagues, develop research protocols and tools related youth inclusion & Engagement and support youth focused research activities.
Collaborate with the MEAL team to identify opportunities for and support operational research on youth-related issues round MNCH, FP/RH, Nutrition, WASH and Malaria prevention and treatment.
Education and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Youth Development Studies, Public Health, or related Social Science field from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated practical experience in Youth Development, Health and/or behavior change programming (especially in Public/Preventive Health) in Malawi.
- Proven experience in youth development, youth policy, advocacy, SBBC and leading campaigns’ design and delivery.
- Those with masters in Youth Development Studies, Public Health, Social Sciences with Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated practical experience will have an added advantage
Method Of Application
Interested applicants should send their current resume with names of their three most recent referees and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org cc: email@example.com
by 5th November 2023. We request that you strictly indicate the subject line of your email as the position you are applying for: Youth Inclusion & Engagement Technical Advisor.
Youth Wave is an equal opportunity employer