African Parks (AP)
VACANCY: WAITER – MAJETE
STATUS: One-year contract subject to renewal based on performance
African Parks (AP) is a not-for-profit organization that secures a mandate to conserve through Public-Private Partnerships with Governments and communities for the rehabilitation and long-term management of protected areas in Africa, and here in Malawi, AP has secured this mandate for the management of Majete Wildlife Reserve, Liwonde National Park and Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve.
An opportunity has arisen for the post of Waiter tenable at Majete Wildlife Reserve in Chikwawa The Waiter will directly report to the Head of Front of house department (Head waiter), but also work closely with the Kitchen, Grounds and housekeeping departments. The Waiter will be responsible for providing the best front of house service within the tourism facilities of Majete Wildlife Reserve. The focus will be serving food to guests and being responsible for all waiter’s day-to-day tasks at Thawale lodge and Mwembezi restaurant.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but not limited to):
1. Cleaning front of house and all front storage facilities.
2. Serving drinks and food to guest.
3. Writing bills to guest.
4. Arranging restaurant furniture.
5. Setting meal tables
6. Preparing and serving welcome drinks with towels (cold or warm towels depending on
7. Making sure the front of house is always clean tidy
8. Cleaning the roof of the lodge for spiders at least once every month when there are no guests
9. Greeting guests and taking drink and food orders
10. Staying attentive to the needs of guests in the dining area
11. Delivering food from the kitchen to the guests
12. Ensuring the food order is made correctly by kitchen staff and looks presentable for guests
13. Following health code standards with regards to the handling of food
14. Performing shift duties like delivering racks of cups to the service station, rolling silverware,
pre-bussing tables, wiping tables and removing debris.
15. Taking customer orders and delivering food and beverages
16. Making menu recommendations, answering questions and sharing additional information
with restaurant patrons
17. Greet and escort customers to their tables and to their tents when required
18. Present menu and provide detailed information when asked (e.g. about portions, ingredients
or potential food allergies)
19. Prepare tables by setting up linens, silverware and glasses
20. Inform customers about the day’s specials
21. Offer menu recommendations upon request
22. Up-sell additional products when appropriate
23. Take accurate food and drinks orders, using a POS ordering software, order slips
24. Communicate order details to the Kitchen Staff
25. Check dishes and kitchenware for cleanliness and presentation and report any problems
26. Deliver checks and collect bill payments
27. Carry dirty plates, glasses and silverware to kitchen for cleaning
28. Meet with restaurant staff to review daily specials, changes on the menu and service
specifications for reservations (e.g. parties)
29. Doing a stock count to know what every chef is starting with and checking again when
ending the shift to make sure sales and balances are tarrying.
30. Follow all relevant health department regulations
31. Provide excellent customer service to guests
32. Daily stock taking on beverage and making sure that the fridge is stocked with different
33. Making sure that uniforms are cleaned and has a name badge visible to guests
34. And any other duties assigned from time to time
35. Get very familiar with toll order
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
o Minimum of diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management, Catering service, culinary arts
or any relevant field obtained from a recognized institution.
o Malawi School Certificate of Education
o Strong interest in wildlife conservation
o Minimum of 2 years of similar experience
o Ability to maintain a rapid and demanding pace of work
o Good English skills (written and spoken)
o Ability to follow instructions accurately.
o Good attention to detail and ability to identify problems.
o Ability to adapt and work flexibly.
o Ability to prioritized activities.
o Dependable and strong work ethic
• Aged between 24 to 35.
African Parks is an equal opportunity Employer.
Method Of Application
Applicants should submit their CVs with a covering letter clearly stating how their skills
and experience meet the requirements of the position. At least two traceable referees should
be included, copies of certificates are required at this stage. Applications should be emailed
to recruitMalawi@africanparks.org by close of business on 8th May, 2023.
Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
To apply for this job email your details to recruitMalawi@africanparks.org