VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone, so that each person has the health care needed to thrive. We develop solutions that improve equity and access to primary health care. This includes making sure products are available when and where they are needed and primary health care services are delivered to the most under-reached. Radical collaboration with governments, the private sector and other partners strengthen our ability to scale and sustain these solutions. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 58 million people in Africa. VillageReach in incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
VillageReach seeks an experienced and highly motivated individual to join the Communications Team as the UAV for Payload Delivery Working Group (UPDWG) Community Manager. UPDWG is a global knowledge and resource sharing community whose goal is to accelerate the introduction of drone delivery into supply chains. UPDWG started as a small community founded by VillageReach, and has grown into a global network of over 400 members from 60+ countries. As UPDWG’s reach has grown, so has its recognition as a thought leader and value as a connector within the drone delivery ecosystem.
The UPDWG Community Manager will work closely with community members (drone service providers, NGOs, donors, governments, academics and more) to foster a vibrant, effective and financially sustainable online community. This is a dynamic role requiring a candidate who will own the strategic direction, programming and financial sustainability of UPDWG. The ideal candidate is highly self-motivated, excellent in written and verbal communication, and capable of seeding and managing strategic partnerships. This is an excellent opportunity to join a mission-oriented, global organization.
Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office, Country Offices, location of other global staff and UPDWG community members, this position will be required to work flexibly between the hours of 10am – 8pm Central African Time or 8am – 6pm Eastern Standard Time. Preference will be given to applicants legally eligible to work in Sub-Saharan Africa where VillageReach currently has staff (Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zimbabwe) or Arizona, California, Illinois, Washington, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, New York Oregon, Texas, Virginia, or Washington DC in the USA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
Financial Sustainability – 35%
- Immediately refine and implement an existing UPDWG financial sustainability roadmap.
- Develop a sponsorship package and solicit companies and organizations to sponsor UPDWG.
- Develop and implement basic and advanced paid membership packages.
- Identify, develop and execute other new revenue generation strategies, including paid events, within the first months of hire.
- Lead UPDWG strategic discussions, synthesize discussions and lead the execution of next steps.
Community Management – 35%
- Build and maintain a pipeline of new members to broaden the UPDWG community by responding to inquiries, building partnerships and developing and following leads.
- Facilitate meaningful in-person and online connections and collaborations between UPDWG members, including partner matching, networking and potentially online discussion forums.
- Manage and maintain the UPDWG website.
- Maintain and promote UPDWG through current online channels (LinkedIn, monthly newsletter and YouTube) and identify new channels for content promotion.
- Monitor media and events for inclusion in UPDWG’s resource library, monthly newsletter and Medical Drone Delivery Database (MD3).
- Manage, grow and evolve the Medical Drone Delivery Database, including establishing new connections to solicit new data submissions.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with other working groups, NGOs and projects to expand UPDWG visibility at and participation in key industry events to evangelize UPDWG.
- Maintain membership databases in excel and Mailchimp.
Event coordination and facilitation – 25%
- Facilitate UPDWG webinars, including establishing new connections with presenters, supporting presentation development, promotion and day of facilitation.
- Lead the design and coordination of online and in-person member events.
Cross-Cutting – 5%
- Monitor and evaluate UPDWG’s online performance against targets, implement performance improvement strategies through data-driven decision making and campaign analysis.
- Support the VillageReach Drones for Health team with ad-hoc requests such as presentations and reporting.
Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Required Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree (business, marketing or digital communications concentrations are considered an asset), Master’s degree preferred or equivalent mix of education and experience
- At least 8 years of experience in marketing
- At least 2-4 years of online community building or community management experience
- English CEFR level C-1 or better
- Experience in business development for a social impact oriented business or NGO
- Proven experience independently executing activities to advance objectives and strategies
- Experience executing online and in-person events
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including strong interpersonal skills for working with international staff, community members and partners
- Exceptional presentation design skills
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment
- Fearless in embracing relevant technology including demonstrated ability to easily adopt new tools and processes
Preferred Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus
- Experience working in the drone delivery and global health industry
2 years of social media management
- Experience with basic financial modeling, forecasting and scenario building
- Experience using WordPress and Mailchimp
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office, Country Offices, location of other global staff and UPDWG community members, this position will be required to work flexibly between the hours of 10am – 8 pm Central African Time or 8am – 6pm Eastern Standard Time. Applicant must be comfortable working outside of a physical office and using remote communication channels (MS Teams, Zoom, WhatsApp) to perform their duties.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
Preference will be given to applicants legally eligible to work in Sub-Saharan Africa where VillageReach currently has staff (Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zimbabwe) or Arizona, California, Illinois, Washington, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, New York Oregon, Texas, Virginia, or Washington DC in the USA.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until August 19, 2022. To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter, and a professional business oriented writing sample, from a previous or current business project, to our online portal for initial screening: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
After initial screening, applicants may be requested to submit an additional writing or presentation sample before selection for final interview.
VillageReach is committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults, and beneficiaries with whom it engages. We expect everyone working with us to share this commitment through our code of conduct.All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which may include criminal records. VillageReach participates in the Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and, in line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By applying, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.