Position: Technical Advisor for Youth Organisations and Advocacy
A. BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO THE PROJECT
The GIZ project “EYA! Empowering Youth in Agribusiness” is aimed at improving the employment and income opportunities in the agri-food sector in rural areas with a special focus on youth. It applies the so-called integrated approach to employment promotion. This is an innovative approach which focuses on creating employment opportunities, improving employment prospects and link labor supply and demand in the agriculture and food sector on the basis of specific needs and interests of young people, in order to improve their income and employment situation.
The focus intervention areas in Malawi are:
- Improved qualification of women and youth for the agricultural and agri-food sector
- Increasing new and supplementary job opportunities through support to MSMEs, smallholders and start-up creation as well as development partnerships with the private sector
- Improved framework conditions and integration of young people into rural labor markets through innovative matching activities
In Malawi the project is implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Industry (MoI). Implementation areas are Lilongwe, Mchinji, Dowa, Kasungu, Salima, Ntchisi, Nkhotakota and Mzimba.
The EYA! Project is a country package of the global project “Employment in rural areas with focus on youth”, that is also implemented in Burkina Faso, Kenya and Mozambique. There is a regular exchange between the technical advisors of each country package. Furthermore, the project aims to facilitate an innovation and knowledge transfer between the partners in the country packages.
The project is embedded in the portfolio of GIZ Malawi and will be aligned to the Malawi Growth and Development Strategy 2017-2022 (MDGS) III, the National Agricultural Policy (NAP) 2016, the National Youth Policy (2013) and the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Policy Strategy (2012-2017).
For the EYA! project, the Technical Advisor for Youth Organisations and Advocacy will be mainly responsible for the following tasks:
- Support the National Youth Council of Malawi (NYCOM) and affiliated youth organisations & clubs through organisational and skills development (improvement of service delivery) and creation of a youth employment friendly environment.
- Provide advisory support in the development and implementation of the NYCOM strategic plan.
- Provide advisory support in the implementation of NYCOM mandate on youth empowerment in Malawi through resource mobilisation.
- Establish and maintain organizational links to ATVET center’s, government partners and private sector and other stakeholders in project impact areas to structurally promote new and existing job placement services.
- Provide technical support and representation to the practice-oriented stakeholder dialogue, workshops, working groups, community of practice etc. as well as the coordination and cooperation of relevant matching actors, e.g. youth organization, ATVET centers, private sector organizations and government agencies.
- Provide technical support to relevant matching actors on preparation of labour market information for the organisation development training graduates and other job-seeking young people (15-35) in rural areas.
- Provide advisory support that helps NYCOM achieve its strategic objectives in the EYA! GIZ and NYCOM MoU.
- Provide advisory role in the effective implementation of organisation development tool in targeted youth clubs across EYA! impact areas.
- Provide advisory support to youth clubs which have undergone organisation development to further develop their business, build their networks, source funding, build market linkages, etc.
All activities implicate the support of a gender sensitive approach for the implementation of measures as well as the implementation of ICT and digital solutions
Cross cutting responsibilities and tasks
- Ensure the link and very close cooperation between NYCOM and EYA! (in particular the other technical advisor in the AgriMatch field of activity).
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation systematically and thoroughly. Advise and involve partners and target group in data collection relevant to the M&E system
- Actively contribute to the global project’s knowledge exchange activities between country packages in Africa and partners as well as GIZ platforms of knowledge management (Global Project, Sector Network Rural Development (SNRD) in Africa, IDA communities, as well as the Malawi Cluster which is in process)
- Respond to requests from EYA! management level in a timely manner
- Perform any other duties as required by your superior
B. REQUIRED ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Relevant Master’s degree (in agricultural studies, development studies, economics, social science or any related field) from a recognized institution
- Profound knowledge on the topics of rural labour markets, and youth development with focus on youth organisations.
- Knowledge of methods and procedures of the German Development Cooperation are an advantage
- At least 5 years working experience in a similar position on employment promotion and particularly in the fields of development of (youth) organization.
- Have very strong organizational and networking skills and a good existing network within the agricultural and agri-food sector in Malawi and within youth groups and organisations
- Have proven project management experience, including the capacity to deliver results within agreed timeframes
- Have a good understanding of monitoring and evaluation procedures
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and as part of an international team
- Fluency in written and spoken English and spoken Chichewa are a must, additional local languages are an advantage
- Good IT skills, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, MS Teams and ICT based applications as well as social media
Method Of Application
Interested candidates should submit their applications electronically and these should include: a motivation letter, current resume of the applicant and certified scanned copies of relevant diploma’s and degrees to:
The Head of HR
P.O. Box 31131
Email to: email@example.com
The following reference code of the call for application is strictly to be indicated in the subject line of the applicant’s e-mail: EYA/2022/08/TA/Youth Organizations & Advocacy/Name of applicant
The deadline for receiving applications is 6th September 2022.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities who qualify are encouraged to apply.
Within its activities, GIZ is promoting and protecting human rights, health and wellbeing, and wishes to contribute to a world free from harm, exploitation and abuse. Prospective candidates should be willing to adhere to GIZ’ s Child Protection Principles, and Prevent Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy