JOB ADVERTISEMENT – TECHNICAL ADVISOR – COMMUNICATION
The Malawi National Social Support Programme (MNSSP II) adopted in 2018 reflects the
Government of Malawi’s resolute commitment towards reducing poverty and vulnerability
through social protection. The Poverty Reduction and Social Protection (PRSP) Division under the Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs is responsible for the overall coordination and monitoring of the MNSSP II. The German Development Cooperation through Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is committed to support the Malawian Government through the project “Support to the implementation of social protection for the ultra-poor people”. The project started in April 2022 and builds on previous GIZ projects supporting the PRSP. From 2022 till 2025 the main areas of support will be a) Building capacities of PRSP; b) Supporting the institutionalization of the Unified Beneficiary Registry (UBR); and c) Enhancing district administration through decentralization including the UBR management at district level.
In 2022 the project also received extra funds to combat the negative impact of COVID 19 and will most likely receive again extra funds to support the Malawian Government in the fight against COVID and other diseases in 2023.
In addition to this, the project is co-financed by the EU (at least until August 2023). This is the funding source for the advertised position. The EU co-financed component of the project focusses on delivery systems for social protection. The main areas of support will be: (1) anchoring of the UBR at district level, (2) the implementation of e-payments in at least one more district and (3) the application of a harmonized Grievance- and Redress Mechanism in 4 districts.
The GIZ project team consists of ~ 14 colleagues, including as of now 6 technical advisors (2
international, 4 national) working on the different outputs.
B. Tasks and Responsibilities
The Communication Advisor is responsible for:
- Providing strategic and technical support on all SPP internal and external communication
- Ensuring the implementation of the EU communication and visibility plan
- Management of external communication service providers (e. g. related to texting, graphics and visualizations)
- Ensuring high quality and recipients-oriented communication of the programme on various channels (e. g. social media, newspapers, radio, GIZ website)
- Coordination with the media at events and quality control of articles.
The technical advisor is expected to work on the following tasks:
- Creation of editorial content for the different communication channels
- Organization of internal and external events, including media coverage
- Spearheading and coordinating the communication with external service providers for
communication services in terms of their deliverables as per contract and the quality of work
- Support with procurement relevant for communication (including procurement of goods such as e.g. banners, promotional items)
- Any other communication support that may be required
The Technical Advisor – Communication is a key member of the GIZ Social Protection Programme (SPP) providing communication advise and support to the team. For this, he or she will be working closely together with the technical experts of the team and report directly to the team leader
More information about the GIZ Social Protection Programme can be found here: Providing
social protection for ultra-poor people in Malawi (giz.de)
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience (essential vs. desirable
- University Degree in communications & development studies, social sciences, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in practical communication work within the development sector, ideally in social protection
- Excellent communication skills in English and vernacular languages in Malawi (e. g.
- Advanced skills in creating content for different media platforms
- Work experience with GIZ and/or EU in the field of communication is a strong asset
- Strong ability to understand the needs of different stakeholders/recipients and how to reach them using different communication channels / styles.
Please provide at least 3 work examples of communication content you developed with your
Method Of Application
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should submit their applications, with a one-page cover letter demonstrating how they meet the above requirements, along with a detailed CV (max. 5 pages) by 21st November 2022 to:
The Head of HR
P.O. Box 31131
Or email to: email@example.com
The following reference code of the call for application is strictly to be indicated in the subject line of the applicant’s e-mail: SPP/2022/11/TA/COM/Name of applicant
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities who qualify are
encouraged to apply!
Within its activities, GIZ is promoting and protecting human rights, health and wellbeing,
and wishes to contribute to a world free from harm, exploitation and abuse. Prospective
candidates should be willing to adhere to GIZ’ s Child Protection Principles, and Prevent Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy.