- Coordinates research efforts consistent with the established research/experimental design and implementation according to specific milestones.
- Designs and Implements mixed crop-livestock systems including soil and water interventions on-farm.
- Monitors overall implementation of research activities/interventions including timely collection of robust data, synthesis of multiple datasets and development of policy/scientific outputs, through coordination with NARS and research associates.
- Advises research team on progress of research activities and identifies issues in the implementation of experiments and data quality.
- Guides stakeholders (enumerators/students) on the collection/sharing of data, and on compliance with experimental protocols to support research/experimental project
- Supervises field staff (e.g. casuals) on management of field trials
- Grooms and supports research associates and partner staff implementing various activities to ensure smooth delivery of expectations.
- Interprets ongoing constraints/national needs and align the program interventions/activities appropriately
- Offers other scientific country support to other teams beyond Malawi.
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate and develops, in timely manner, new projects with various partners.
- Represents the organization in local and international meetings, and organizes forums for communicating various results
- PhD degree (or nearly completed) in a field related to agronomy/soil science
- Wide experience with field trials especially integrating various components in a mixed-crop livestock perspective
- Good analytical skills to communicate Science at a higher level and also communicate to policy makers
- Knowledge of R statistical software
- Expertise in agronomy from an agronomic fortification lens is an added advantage.
- Ability to integrate knowledge across different disciplines.
- Deep knowledge of the ongoing national needs and priorities of the countries within ESA and how this position can ride on this.
- Thought leader in systems agronomy and or mixed farming systems