Main purpose of position
Currently we are looking for a Socila Unit Expert in Blantyre, Malawi on a Fixed Term Contract for 2 years to be part of our global team working together towards our vision – Improving our future. As The Social Unit Expert will lead the Social and resettlement components of the Mpatamanga Hydropower Project in compliance with Malawi national regulations and international standards (IFC PS, WB ESF, AfDB, Equator Principles 4, etc.). Under the supervision of the E&S Manager, he/she plays a critical role in the management of the Environmental and Social (E&S) team. One of the key stakes of this Project is land acquisition and resettlement (both physical and economic displacement). Stakeholder engagement, grievance redress management, gender are also key stakes, as is human rights risk monitoring and management.
- Lead the organisation and management of social activities and studies and produce social plans in line with national and international standards, and Partners’ requirements
- Support all relevant documentation in accordance with above standards (for example, ensuring that Project bidding documents and contracts include necessary social protection and monitoring provisions)
- Support the liaison between the Project, consultants, and the IFIs/lenders with regards to social issues; including land acquisition and resettlement, stakeholder engagement, grievance redress management, gender, human rights risk monitoring and management
- Lead the discussions/negotiations with IFIs/lenders re. the need for additional studies to ensure compliance with their standards/requirements
- Lead the discussions/negotiations with lenders and national authorities re. the Project’s Social commitments as articulated in social mitigation and compensation Plans
- Prepare ToRs and manage the tendering, contracting, and implementation process of additional Social studies, as needed. For example, as regards local capacity scoping assessment, community needs analysis assessment, human rights risk assessment. Select consultants in charge of conducting additional studies and plans
- Lead the Project’s stakeholder engagement program working in close coordination with the MHPL Environmental Unit Leader/Expert and the Government of Malawi’s Project Implementation Unit (PIU). This includes leading the coordination of stakeholder engagement and grievance management activities undertaken by all Project Consultants; across both the Technical and E&S Workstreams
- Manage the work program of the Consultants responsible for the Resettlement and Livelihood Restoration Action Plan (RLRAP) and the Social components of the ESIA, BAP, and Cumulative Impact Assessment (CIA). In coordination with the Environmental Unit Leader/Expert, organise a system to closely follow-up progress and ensure the quality and timeliness of work and deliverables
- Manage the work program of other Consultants undertaking Social studies; including as regards labour influx management.
- Ensure the robustness of social baselines
- Prepare and manage budgets for social programs, including as regards Social team staffing
- Finalize and implement the RLRAP
- Finalize and jointly implement and/or monitor the ESIA, ESMPs and CIA Management Plan
- In coordination with the Environmental Unit Leader/Expert, define KPI’s for RLRAP, ESMP, CIAimplementation
- Manage monitoring and reporting of Social team performance, including Consultant performance;
- Develop and build the organisational capacity of a Social Team during the course of the development phase (composed of roles spanning social risk management, stakeholder engagement and grievance management, land acquisition and resettlement inclusive of livelihood restoration, and community development)
Qualifications and competencies
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, policy or management, or related field.
- Minimum of 15 years overall professional experience, with at least 5 years of work experience in the hydropower sector or with government agencies and International Finance Institutions in a similar position.
- Experience in a similar position and/or experience in Africa would be an asset
- Demonstrated experience in: Designing / implementing components of Social Management Plans and, in particular, Social Management plans in a similar context
- Compulsory experience in developing Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) and grievance redress mechanisms (GRMs) in a similar context
- Producing documents in compliance with national and IFI’s/lenders requirements
- Leading exchanges and negotiations with lenders (and their advisors) during the development phase, until Financial close
- Strengthening the skills and experience of national personnel in working to IFI standards for private sector led and PPP projects
- Demonstrated experience in Hydropower project development would be a strong asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable theory, methods and practice in environmental science, impact assessment and environmental management, including biodiversity issues.
- Skills in data and information synthesis for both technical and general audiences.
- Assessment and evaluation capabilities.
- An ability to source and filter information for transfer to stakeholders, including at community level
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with all levels of society (e.g., traditional leaders, communities, private sector).
- Demonstrated event management and time management skills.
- Proven experience with basic IT tools and digital platforms including GIS and database management
- Ability to coordinate and negotiate with various stakeholders
For the particular role we also expect
- Must be able to work extended hours
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- French and/or Chichewa language skills highly desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, customer and goal oriented
- Leading cross-cultural teams
- Working in a multi-cultural context and on large infrastructure projects
- Must be able to work overtime according to operational needs
- Must be available to travel regularly
- Must have a valid driver’s license