Ministry of Health
The Government of Malawi is committed to reach Universal Health coverage. In this regard, The Ministry of Health signed a memorandum of understanding with Christian Health Association of Malawi (CHAM) and Islamic Health Association of Malawi (IHAM) to ensure provision of essential health services. Service Level Agreements are part of delivering this MOU. Service Level Agreements are a form of Public Private Partnership between government and faith based health care providers that stipulates the nature of services to be provided by the client. The aim of the SLA program is to improve equity in access to Essential Health Package (EHP) services to the population served by CHAM & IHAM facilities by removing the user fees charged.
This program expands coverage for the EHP services with an aim of achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC) for the poor population by making health services free at the point of delivery in CHAM and IHAM facilities Under SLAs, the MOH reimburses CHAM and IHAM health facilities for providing an agreed package of essential health services free of charge to the community.
Over the years the program is known for its positive contribution toward improving health outcomes. Therefore, the SLA unit is looking for the following position;
Grade : PG3
Department : Planning – Health Financing (SLA Project)
Reports to : Deputy Director of Planning
Terms of Employment : 2 years Contract
The SLA Project Manager, will on behalf of the Department of Planning and Policy Development, manage all aspects of implementation of the Service Level Agreements (SLAs) in the Ministry of Health. He/she will provide overall guidance in the development and management of resources, including policies and guidelines of the project. He/she will oversee coordination, implementation, quality assurance and achievement of SLA goals, provide necessary strategic and operational leadership in the management, implementation and administration of SLAs. He/she will maintain good working relationships with Government Officials, local and international partners and other stakeholders. He/she will ensure that the SLA project meets Health Services
Joint Fund requirements and that the required reports are accurate, timely and complete.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Oversee and coordinate SLA programme implementation;
- Ensure actions that may impede implementation of SLA project activities are expeditiously addressed to the satisfaction of the HSJF;
- Institute proper budget control systems by reviewing and monitoring Motion budget, expenditure and variances on quarterly basis;
- Facilitate development, review and adherence of policies, guidelines and standard operating procedures for the SLA programme;
- Facilitate establishment and functionality of the governance structures for the SLA at all levels;
- Facilitate capacity building for the systems and structures involved in SLA implementation;
- Provide timely and relevant reports and information to MOH, CHAM, IHAM and stakeholders;
- Maintain close collaboration and networking with partners and relevant stakeholders on SLA issues;
- Facilitate periodic meetings for the SLA Management taskforce and SLA costing task team:
- Participate in all SLA programme meetings and project groups; and
- Participate in SLA programme evaluations.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Accounting, Project Management, Business Administration from an accredited institution. Those with a Master’s degree in the mentioned fields will have an added advantage.
- Five (5) years’ experience at Management level.
- A minimum Six(6) years relevant working experience in the implementation and management of projects.
- Working experience in NGO and Donor funded projects, experience in costing methodologies will have an added advantage.
- Competency in Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel skills.
Requisite Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Strong Project management, change management and leadership skills;
- Strong organizational and knowledge management skills, versatility and ability to multi-task;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines especially in terms of Program implementation reporting;
- Excellent communication (oral and written), conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
- Good Advocacy and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work as a team member and to execute successful leadership skills for coaching and developing employees;
- Essential Time management skills;
- Technical expertise;
- Risk Management;
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Knowledge of health service providers i.e. CHAM & IHAM institutions
- Very conversant with public health issues; and
- Ability to work independently while being a strong team player.
Method Of Application
Interested persons should submit their application letters that should include copies of relevant certificates and Curriculum Vitae which has phone numbers and names of three traceable referees to:
The Secretary for Health
Ministry of Health
P.O. Box 30377
Attention: Director of Human Resource Management and Development
The advert can also be accessed on www.health.gov.mw
Closing date for receipt of the applications is Friday 14th May,2023