Churches Action in Relief and Development
Churches Action in Relief and Development (CARD) is a member of ACT alliance working in the field of Humanitarian Response and Long-term Development. CARD in partnership with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has secured funding to implement business model approach on resilient shelter construction and disaster risk reduction (DRR) project in Nsanje and Chikwawa Districts and requires the services of a Shelter Technical Officer.
The position will be tenable in Chikwawa District but with frequent visits to Nsanje district.
Attributes of the Person
- Self-motivated, dynamic with ability to monitor and supervise staff to achieve desired results.
- Should have strong skills in estimating bills of quantities, AutoCAD & other construction related software.
- Should have knowledge of emergencies and humanitarian response mechanisms in Malawi.
- Should have knowledge of the designs and features of cost-effective and strong building structures for flood and strong winds affected areas.
- A devoted Christian with unquestionable Christian values.
- Malawian origin
Overall management and coordination of resilient shelter construction and DRR project.
- Supervising, mentoring and guiding staff on resilient shelter construction and other supported DRR activities.
- Providing training to the local artisans on the construction of cost-effective and resilient shelters.
- Setting up and training business model groups in resilient shelter construction materials supplies.
- Supporting staff in giving progress using online monitoring platform.
- Ensuring good working relationship with key district and community level stakeholders and also representing CARD at district council meetings.
- Overall responsible for the production of timely quality reports and submission to the Project Officer for CARD.
Required Qualifications, Skills And Competences
The prospective candidate should possess the following:
- B.Sc. Degree in Civil Engineering or construction related degree from NCHE accredited university.
- Minimum of 3 working years’ experience in shelter construction industry.
- Progressive experience of working at least 2 years in the NGO sector in Malawi will have an added advantage.
Code Of Conduct And Related Policies
CARD adheres to the ACT Alliance Code of Conduct and the Core Humanitarian Standards, implemented alongside other related policies; such as the CARD Code of Conduct, Safeguarding policy, Anti-fraud Policy, Disability Policy and the Child Protection Policy. These have been developed to ensure protection of the vulnerable groups from exploitation. The policies clarify the roles and responsibilities of CARD staff, volunteers, visitors, consultants, partner organizations and other stakeholders in their dealings with CARD and rights holders. Candidate to be offered the job will be expected to sign the Code of Conduct and related policies as requirement to their contract of employment.
By signing the policies, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the contents of the policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of those policies.
Method of Application
Interested persons with suitable qualifications should submit their applications together with a detailed resume and names of three traceable referees, one of whom should be clergy to:
The Executive Director
P O Box 2733