Water For People
OPEN POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
SENIOR WASH FINANCING ADVISOR – AFRICA
Water For People is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees across the world help drive this solution.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Senior WASH Financing Advisor-Africa supports government partners and staff to identify and capture different forms of finance to help national governments to make progress towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goal 6 (SDG 6). They will be responsible for providing expertise and technical assistance to country programs in Africa on innovations in WASH Financing and managing critical relationships within the Africa continent, international financing partners, and other key stakeholders. The ideal candidate understands public finance and the politics of increasing allocations as well as international financial instruments.
This position will improve effectiveness and impact of programs, build capacity with government partners and within country teams, and foster a culture of quality programming when it comes to WASH Financing within the organization. This position is part of and works in collaboration with other members of the Influence and Advocacy team within the organization. The role also supports WASH Financing related needs of Strategic Communications team, Donor Impact team, and internal funding opportunities in the Africa region.
They will provide senior technical and programmatic WASH Financing expertise and leadership to the planning, updating, and implementation of the project’s WASH financing and/or costing activities in the Africa region, at the macro-level and meso-level supporting Malawi, Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania Country Programs.
The One for All Alliance, of which Water For People is a founding member, has since 2022 worked towards its Destination 2030 Strategy. Sector Finance is one of six key outcomes detailed in that strategy and perhaps the most challenging. The aim of this position is to enable the organization to more effectively respond to this challenge and leverage the resources needed to achieve SDG 6 at a national level in each focus country.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
Expertise and Technical Support to Country Programs:
- Support Country programmes to help expand sector investments through diverse mechanisms such as blended financing facilities, public-private partnerships (PPPs), local debt financing, and other viable models of finance that can be replicated and scaled in the region.
- Leading the development of WASH Financing guidelines, framework, approaches and programme approaches to be used by Country Programmes to support them as they work with governments and partners.
- Provide technical assistance to facilitate mobilization of public and private finance to enhance water and sanitation service delivery with emphasis on rural and peri-urban areas, climate resilience, equity, and inclusion.
- Work with Country Programs in the innovations and development of financing models for financing WASH Services.
- Support Country programmes in designing and operationalization of WASH financing strategies that have been developed by Governments.
- Create a framework for WASH Financing at local or national government to increase efficiency and improve organizational flexibility to follow government leadership*.*
- Work with Country programmes in high level policy dialogue with government stakeholders and partners related to WASH financing for universal coverage.
Influence and advocacy related to WASH Finance
- Liaise with One for All Alliance influence team from the Africa region (IRC and Water for Good and potential future members) to advance themes on WASH Sector Finance.
- Build relationships with regional Finance institutions currently funding WASH programmes in Africa through grants/loans e.g., African Development Bank, Foundations, AMCOW, INGOs, and Private sector including Climate Finance institutions.
- Collaborate with Country Directors to develop financing opportunities with development banks and ensure accreditation to climate financing institutions e.g., Adaptation Fund, Green Climate Fund among others.
- Ensure all WASH Sector Finance programmes emphasize equity and inclusion in improving lasting access to water and sanitation services.
- Participate in international WASH networks, meetings, and selected technical working groups as appropriate to represent Water For People and ensure collaboration with relevant technical work in Africa.
- Participate in and help facilitate high level meetings with Donors, Ministers, and other stakeholders as requested by Country Program teams.
- Lead capacity building and training activities for country program technical staff.
- Promote and contribute to Water For People’s learning agenda as it relates to WASH financing.
- Lead and contribute to specific regional and global training, workshops, and learning webinars related to WASH financing.
External Communications and Support to Funding Opportunities
- Identify WASH Sector Finance funding opportunities that are aligned to Destination 2030 and country priorities.
- Support the Africa region national governments to identify and secure funding opportunities towards the achievement of SDG 6.
- Understand and communicate organizational approach to water and sanitation financing to select audiences, including sector conferences.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Donor Impact to improve our messaging of WASH Financing.
YOU WILL EXCEL IN THIS ROLE IF YOU HAVE
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, Finance or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience in WASH Finance activities for an international organization in a low- or middle-income country in Africa.
- Expertise in climate finance, international experience with a good understanding of how country governments can access this finance.
- Experience working with national governments, private sector, blended finance, equity funds, private financing, loan financing, climate financing to name a few.
- Technical skills in research, analysis, processing, collection, software programs.
- Well-rounded understanding of WASH program design and understanding of best practices for WASH Finance.
- Advanced/expert with Microsoft Office programs and specifically business analysis tools.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Ability to influence without authority.
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE
- Master’s Degree in a related field preferred.
MORE ABOUT THIS ROLE
- Opportunity to travel up to 15% of the time domestically and internationally to low- and middle-income countries where travel is rugged.
- Option to work from an office or remotely. Water For People will seek candidates in the following countries where Water For People is present: Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda. Candidates must be citizens of one of these countries or legally authorized to work in them.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours to meet with team members located in other time zones.
HOW YOU WILL APPLY:
If Water For People and this position interest you, please visit our Career Center and apply with your resume and cover letter to this position.
Rwanda 25,871,824 – 54,378,724 RWF
Uganda 93,959,782.00 – 199,211,935.33 UGX
Tanzania 66,181,386.67 – 157,507,653.33 TZS
Malawi 25,058,400.00 – 62,940,558.00 MWK
Actual salary will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors.
Water For People is committed to protecting children encountered during our work and by our employees, preventing sexual abuse and exploitation of all individuals with a particular focus on women and children and other marginalized communities in the performance of our work, preventing human trafficking in the performance of our work and in our supply chain and to having a drug-free workplace. During the recruitment processes, additional documentation will be requested to comply with our policies and in accordance with the legal requirements in your country of residency, this includes a background check. If you apply for employment, we want you to be aware of our recruitment, selection and hiring processes including important policies regarding employee conduct.
Water For People is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to creating a culture of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our workplace. For this position we strongly encourage women and people with disabilities to apply. Water for people strives to create and maintain a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of race, ethnicity, ancestry, tribal affiliation, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, veteran status, disability, socioeconomic class, educational attainment, or other social identities is critical to our ability to have a world where every person has access to reliable and safe water and sanitation services.
Our commitment ensures that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating each other with dignity, respect, and appreciation enabling us to feel welcome, supported, and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with stakeholders within our diverse communities.
- Have diversity of thought, perspectives, backgrounds, identities, and talents that will support our mission to develop high-quality drinking water and sanitation services are available to Everyone Forever.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.