Save the Children
Those who applied need not re-apply. Qualified Females are encouraged to apply
The Senior Technical Advisor: Education and Child Development is responsible for leading Save the Children’s Education Programme in Malawi which includes programming in Early Childhood Development (ECD); Basic Education (literacy and numeracy) in both primary and secondary school settings, and inclusive education. This includes developing multi-year thematic strategies and annual plans, designing and building programmes and securing funding, developing strong external relations, and producing and utilising high quality and well-articulated project evidence and research for learning, for advocacy and for the continued development of the Education portfolio.
The Senior Technical Advisor: Education and Child Development is also responsible for promoting programme quality for both development and humanitarian. S/he will ensure cross functionality, coordination, standardization of program implementation in different projects, and that quality of program is of nationally/internationally accepted and recommended standards. S/he represents Save the Children values and principles in interactions with staff and external audiences. These values and principles include commitment to the mission of Save the Children, team orientation, quality management and leadership development, introducing systems and procedures to strengthen staff motivation and productivity.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
Education to MSc/MA/MBA level in in education or equivalent relevant subject or equivalent field management experience
Skills and Experience
- Minimum seven years’ programme management experience working in development/emergency response contexts, with specific experience in Education and Child Development programming in Malawi. Specific experience in education in emergencies (EiE) is highly valued.
- Previous experience of managing a team, and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Significant experience of project management, including multi-sector programmes, from a child rights approach in accordance with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and international humanitarian rights standards
- Understanding of award management, particularly for key institutional donors in the Education sector
- Demonstrated success in field level representation with key stakeholders and co-ordination with other NGOs/UN and Government
- Demonstrable experience of M&E and beneficiary accountability
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, with good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate at all levels
- Strong influencing skills, experience and passion in advocating for children
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector