BUILD Project – Senior Research and Policy Associate
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is a regional non-profit research and policy Institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. Our primary purpose is to contribute to sustainable development through the use of evidence and advocacy to strengthen political commitment and resource allocation for development issues; informing the design and implementation of effective interventions; and strengthening governance and accountability structures for tracking development challenges in Africa. AFIDEP is registered as a Non-Governmental Organisation in both Kenya and Malawi (where it has offices) and as a non-profit institution in the USA with 501(c)3 status. For further details about AFIDEP and its work refer to www.afidep.org.
AFIDEP, together with other partners, is implementing a five-year global project called Building Capacity for Integrated Family planning and Reproductive Health (FP/RH) and Population, Environment and Development (PED) Action (BUILD) funded by the U.S. Agency for international Development (USAID) through the Office of Population and Reproductive Health (PRH) in Washington D.C. The other consortium partners are Leadership for Environment and Development Southern and Eastern Africa (LEAD SEA); PATH Foundation Philippines Inc. (PFPI); FHI 360; and Pan-African Climate Justice Alliance (PACJA).
BUILD is designed to leverage the interconnectedness of Population, Environment and Development (PED), to spur strong political commitment, sustained financial resources, and accountability for voluntary family planning (FP) and reproductive health (RH) in low-and middle-income countries (LMICs). BUILD seeks to amplify the PED approach for transformative action across disciplinary, geographical, sociocultural and sectoral divides encompassing population dynamics, health, environment, climate change, resilience, livelihoods, food security, education, and governance.
The project is being implemented from 4 regional hubs in Eastern Africa (Kenya), Southern Africa (Malawi), Western Africa (Cote d’Ivoire) and Asia Pacific (Philippines).
ABOUT THE POSITION
BUILD is seeking a Senior Research and Policy Associate with experience in cross-sectoral development policy, research, and programming to join our team. The Senior Research and Policy Associate will play a key role in providing technical support to our cross-sectoral policy, research, and advocacy efforts towards achieving the BUILD project objectives.
The position could be based at either AFIDEP’s Nairobi office or Lilongwe office.
- Provide technical support to policy, research, and advocacy efforts related to cross-sectoral development issues, including population dynamics, health, environment and climate change, and sustainable development.
- Conduct research and analysis to inform policy recommendations and programming initiatives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in government, civil society, and the private sector to advance our project objectives.
- Contribute to the design, implementation, and monitoring of cross-sectoral programming initiatives, including project proposals, work plans, and progress reports.
- Provide capacity building support to partners and staff on cross-sectoral development issues and approaches.
- Write analytical research reports and contribute to authoring research papers.
- Develop and disseminate policy-oriented knowledge products.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as international development, demography, public health, environment, climate change or other social sciences.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in cross-sectoral development policy, research, and programming.
- Strong research and analytical skills, including experience with quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex issues to a range of audiences.
- Experience in designing and implementing cross-sectoral development programming initiatives.
- Experience in project management and/or monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Fluent in English, with proficiency in French desirable.
Method Of Application
To apply for this position, please submit a detailed CV and cover letter to email@example.com including the position title “BUILD Project – Senior Research and Policy Associate” on the subject of the email by 26th May 2023. In your cover letter, please highlight your relevant experience and qualifications, and explain why you are interested in this position. Your CV should include three relevant referees. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org