Southern African Development Community (SADC)
Purpose of the job:
- Facilitate and coordinate the development, implementation and M&E of policies and programmes in support of Regional Integration so as to ensure the availability and universal access to sufficient, integrated, efficient, and cost effective transport infrastructure systems as well as the provision of sustainable services in the region.
- Manage the efforts and performance of the team falling under the responsibility of the Senior Programme Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy Development and Harmonization
- Commission and coordinate research/studies to identify transport strategy, policy and regulatory gaps in the region
- Coordinate the development, strengthening and harmonization of transport strategies, policies, regulations, standards and systems
- Coordinate the approval and adoption of the transport strategies, policies, regulations, standards and systems by the SADC Structures
- Facilitate the implementation of the transport strategies, policies, regulations, standards and systems by Member States
- Coordinate the development, review and monitoring of the implementation / domestication of the relevant Protocol falling under the purview of this unit
Research and Information Dissemination
- Manage the collection of information and data relevant to this focal area
- Identify priority areas, commission studies, and use/interpret the findings to feed into the planning process
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of a centralized database on this focal area
- Manage the dissemination of relevant data through the SADC website or through reports to SADC Institutions
Strategic Planning and Programming
- Identify key areas of interventions to foster regional cooperation and integration, and to facilitate inter-connectivity
- Coordinate the development of long-term, medium and short strategic plans/programme of Action, i.e. Regional Infrastructure Development Master Plan (RIDMP), Regional Corridor Strategic Plans etc.
- Facilitate the adoption of the Strategic Plans by various policy structures
- Undertake periodic reviews of the strategic plans
- Prepare annual Business Plan for the transport infrastructure sector
- Facilitate and coordinate implementation of capacity building for the design, development, implementation, maintenance and operations of regional transport infrastructure networks, programmes and projects in Member States; monitor and evaluate the success of the interventions
- Develop projects/programmes to implement the Strategic Plan
- Support resource mobilisation for programme implementation as and when required by the Directorate of Policy Planning and Resource Mobilisation (PPRM)
- Undertake steps to promote and strengthen Public-Private Partnerships for transport infrastructure development, funding and operations.
- Coordinate transport infrastructure project preparation to ensure availability of bankable projects
- Facilitate implementation of the transport infrastructure related programmes/projects aimed at:
- The development, construction, maintenance and rehabilitation of regional transport infrastructure networks along the regional corridors
- The establishment and/or strengthening of regional institutions and frameworks for coordination of transport infrastructure and services
- Manage project staff and consultancies
- Develop and agree on indicators and criteria in line with SADC M&E system for monitoring the implementation of transport projects by the Member States
- Monitor implementation of transport programmes/projects and evaluate their impact
- Prepare reports, documents and annotated agenda for submission to various policy structures of SADC
- Contribute to the development of the SADC Annual Report
- Share transport programme impact and lessons
- Identify and build relationships with external stakeholders (e.g. development agencies, policy, and research organisations) that are critical to delivering the unit’s objectives and programme
- Liaise with other directorates to ensure mainstreaming of cross cutting issues (e.g. Gender, HIV/AIDS, Poverty, ICT, STI etc.) into own programmes
- Ensure joint / synergised planning and programming for programmes that have cross cutting implications / linkages with other programme units in the Secretariat.
Servicing of Relevant Technical & Policy Committees, Meetings & Workshops
- Prepare reports, documents and annotated agenda for submission to various policy structures of SADC
- Liaise with Conference Services unit to (a) organise the logistics for the meetings and workshops, and (b) process / produce the necessary meeting and conference documents and presentations
- Facilitate technical committees, meetings and workshops as required
- Prepare records of the technical and policy meetings including communiqué for policy meetings
Representation and Promotion of SADC Regional Transport Infrastructure programme
- Organise strategic dialogue on key policy issues with stakeholder’s in the region
- Participate in relevant and strategic regional, continental and international meetings; promote and present the SADC’s Transport Infrastructure Agenda in these forums
- Work closely with Communication and Public Relations unit to promote the regional transport infrastructure programme portfolio, pipeline, specific projects and programme impact.
Management of the unit
- Develop, update and implement policies, strategies, processes, systems and procedures for the effective delivery of the unit’s objectives
- Participate in formulation of the Corporate Strategy
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the unit, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance on a regular basis
- Manage the delegated unit budget to ensure optimal use
- Achieve the mission, goals and objectives of the unit, and report progress to the Head
- Ensure team compliance with all relevant Secretariat values, policies and standards, and statutory requirements
- Work towards building a positive workplace and team culture, and a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel
- Plan the unit’s activity and maintain direct oversight on its operations and the staff in terms of (a) work scheduling, (b) estimating resource and staffing needs, (c) allocating and delegating tasks, and (d) recruiting, training, developing, supporting, supervising, mentoring, motivating and appraising staff
- Research and adopt best practices in own area of work, and maintain high level of knowledge in order to effectively undertake the duties of the post
- Undertake any other duties as delegated by the Director Infrastructure.
At least a Master’s Degree in Transport Economics/Engineering/Planning from a recognised institution.
- Knowledge and understanding of integrated programme planning, budgeting, development, administration and monitoring for Transport
- Proficient in the use of computers and computer software relevant to the Position.
- At least 10-15 years of similar experience in transport infrastructure within a public or private sector, regional or international organisation
- This includes a minimum of 4 years in a line management position.
- Communication and presentation skills
- Conflict management skills
- Decision-making skills
- International relations skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Negotiation, persuasion, advocacy, networking, relationship building and stakeholder management skills
- Organisational skills (planning, budgeting, work prioritisation, time management)
- Research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strategy and policy development skills
- Team building skills
- Apply interpersonal styles/methods to develop, motivate and empower individuals toward achievement of goals
- Capable of maintaining quality whilst working under pressure and adhering to deadlines
- Capacity to motivate and influence people positively, and create a climate where people want to do their best
- Conceptual and practical thinking
- Customer focused
- Demonstrated ability to work well, present and win support for ideas in an international, multi-cultural and highly political environment
- Organisational awareness with an understanding of how to engage the organisation to get things done
- Maintain confidentiality and is respectful of sensitive situations
Tenure of appointment
The term of appointment of the Director, Industrial Development and Trade shall be for a fixed period of four (4) years, renewable once for another period of four (4) years. While appointments for positions (2–19) will be on a fixed-term contract for four (4) years, renewable twice for an equal period, subject to:
- satisfactory completion of 6 months’ probation;
- satisfactory performance;
- retirement age limit of 60 years; and
- the continued need for the position.
The positions are open to qualified applicants who:
- Are 52 years old or younger. This requirement is based on the Organization’s need to recruit staff who can serve for a reasonable period of time before reaching the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
- Are from the following eligible Member States: Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Applications should be accompanied by the following:
- a cover letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describing how your qualifications, experience, and competencies are relevant to the position;
- not more than five (5) pages of updated curriculum vitae;
- certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s); and
- duly signed and completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of educational and professional qualifications supporting your application, on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa and possess the required competencies, please submit your application.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat and being considered for an interview, will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
To apply for this job please visit www.devex.com.