International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- POSITION INFORMATION
Position title: Senior Nurse (Migration Health)
Position grade: G-7
Duty station: Lilongwe, Malawi
Job family: Migration Health Division
Organizational unit: Migration Health Unit
Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC, PAC, Liaison Office or Country Office based position? Country Office, Malawi
Position rated on: Not applicable – Pre-classified
Reports directly to: Migration Health Physician
Number of Direct Reports
- ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Physician the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Lead daily nursing and administrative activities of the migration health assessment in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations
- Laboratory testing
- TB management
- Treatment and referrals
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements
- Documentation, certification, and information transmission
- Directly observed treatment/therapy short course (DOTs)
- Fitness-to-travel checks and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Assist in the coordination of all daily nursing and administrative activities, namely:
- Assign tasks to nurses and clerks;
- Monitor pre-examination information sessions, counselling, history, follow up and vital signs taking; verify that nurses and medical clerks enter information into relevant databases in a timely and accurate manner, in accordance to their specific functions; and,
- Facilitate and monitor implementation of fraud-prevention measures, including testing performed outside of the MHAC.
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of an optimal workflow at the health assessment site by suggesting and implementing improvements to facilitate timeliness of completion of nursing and clerical tasks.
- Verify that all migrant/refugee identity check mechanisms are well established and followed.
- Implement quality assurance and quality control measures for nursing and clerical activities; participate in writing SOPs and instructions as well as staff training.
- Verify that SOP’s, checklists, and standard universal precautions within MHAC are followed.
- Check that the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable are well maintained according to guidelines and SOP’s.
- Coordinate, follow up and verify procurement for MHAC – including purchase orders, payment requests and invoices.
- Gather and analyse administrative reports and program updates as necessary; report any inconsistencies or issues to the N+1 (CMHO or chief nurse).
- Coordinate the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Coordinate, and perform if needed, the medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Gather and analyze statistical information and share with the Chief Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, Embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- May have responsibility for direct supervision of a designated team.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Nursing Degree with a minimum of five years relevant clinical experience, with at least two years in a supervisory role and a valid licence to practice nursing in Malawi.