International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
- POSITION INFORMATION
Position title: Senior Communications and Reporting Assistant
Position grade: G7
Duty station: Lilongwe; Malawi
Job family: Programmes Support
Is this a Country Office based position? Malawi
Position rated on 30 November 2022
Reports directly to Chief of Mission
Number of Direct Reports 0
- ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Under the overall administrative supervision of the Chief of Mission, and in close coordination with the Regional Media and Communications Officer, the Communications and Reporting Assistant will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of communications activities at IOM’s office in Lilongwe, Malawi and support all communication and reporting activities of IOM projects and programmes
- RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Plan and implement visibility and communication activities and contribute to IOM’s public information needs, including web and graphic development.in compliance with the donors’ visibility requirements.
- Support reporting and dissemination of activities implemented in Malawi to the IOM HQ and regional office in Pretoria as well as projects partners and donors;
- Draft appropriate information materials (electronic and paper pamphlets, brochures, etc.) including multimedia materials on the projects and disseminate to stakeholders;
- In coordination with Regional office and HQs, support the establishment of an online portal and community of practice for information sharing as part of a knowledge management;
- Coordinate the development and dissemination of advocacy communication materials including, but not limited to: leaflets, projects briefs, stationary items, radio programmes, photography, digital stories, and other communication tools;
- Liaise with media practitioners for coordinating media coverage of all important events and providing information on the activities of the mission in a positive, consistent and credible manner
- Provide information and updates on television, radio and news agencies to keep them regularly informed on project activities to ensure appropriate media coverage including organization of press briefings and conferences as necessary.
- Develop, manage and update of content on the Mission’s website and other social networking accounts.
- Keep abreast of developments on the IOM projects and respond to routine enquiries; and refer press and public queries for information on all aspects of the Initiatives work to the Chief of Mission.
- Coordinate compilation of monthly inputs on outcomes of meetings and events and upcoming strategic issues towards the IOM Global Update, social media and mainstream media
- Produce and disseminate newsletters on Mission’s work
- Support the development of a Country Strategy and coordinate the implementation of a Communications Strategy for the Mission.
- Any other duty assigned.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a relevant field in communication and journalism or related fields.
- Five years of relevant work experience in Communication, Journalism, or International Relations/Development
- Experience working for an international organization (such as the UN), preferred;
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly and accurately;
- Diplomatic, eloquent, composed, and coherent presentation in verbal and written public communication.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to develop visual representation;
- Professional familiarity with key issues in the Southern African region is an asset;
- Proven ability to deploy strong diplomatic skills and good interpersonal skills;
- Strong network of media contacts;
Familiarity with information and communication technologies, particularly with regards to database creation/maintenance and basic web-design/ maintenance
(specify the required knowledge) Desirable
Fluency in English oral and written. Knowledge of other local languages is advantageous
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Method Of Application
Submit your application to:
The Resources Management Officer
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Sogecoa Golden Peacock Hotel Complex, Area 13, Plot No.97,
Closing date for submission is on 15 January 2023
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.