The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of two years. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be one of the following countries: Northern Iraq, Kenya or Malawi.
As Regional Climate Resilience Advisor at Welthungerhilfe (WHH), you will provide service-oriented support to WHH country programmes in the East & Southern Africa/MENA region through capacity building, consultancy services and backstopping in a specific sector of responsibility such as Nutrition and/or WASH. In doing so, you will further develop WHH’s global standards & guidelines, ensure coherence of regional programmes and projects with WHH’s global instruments & approaches, and position the organization in this specific area of work as a competent, well known actor in the field of development and humanitarian aid.
- Carry responsibility to foster climate resilience mainstreaming in ongoing and future projects at country portfolio level in the relevant countries of the Regional Directorate East & Southern Africa/MENA
- Closely interact with the headquarters’ Sector Unit to advance climate resilience related strategies, methods and technical inputs, contributing to the implementation of the “systematizing climate resilience in WHH” strategic project in close coordination with the project lead
- Support Country Offices in conducting environmental and climate sensitivity assessments as a basis for project design and monitoring of risks during the project cycle, and other relevant tools recommended by WHH in line with the sustainability strategy and climate resilience approach
- Respond to country requests and identify possible adaptation and mitigation measures within existing projects, developing and/or reviewing new proposals by bringing in technical expertise on climate resilience
- Support project coordinators of specific climate-related projects in terms of results, methodology, budgeting and compliance with WHH and donor requirements
- Be responsible for knowledge and learning generation and capacity building within the WHH team and partner organizations, including formal training, on-the-job support and identification of other learning opportunities at regional level, and actively contribute to the internal knowledge network by sharing best practices at regional and global level with the Sector unit at headquarters
- Support the roll out of strategies and adapt them to regional and country contexts as needed, and take a leading role in advocacy and positioning of WHH as a humanitarian and development actor in the field of climate resilience at regional and country level
- Actively seek relevant funding opportunities and cooperation with the public and private sectors, and represent WHH in working groups, conferences, dialogues, etc. in coordination with the Sector Unit; In particular, the advisor seeks to exchange information with German organizations and with national and German climate protection commitments
- Conduct and manage relevant analysis, reviewing policies and preparing information for programmatic use
- A university or college degree in a relevant field or equivalent qualification suitable to the position
- At least 5-8 years of professional experience in a relevant field, e.g. Disaster Risk Reduction, climate mitigation
- Experience in promoting advocacy work in the Global South
- Experience in designing and implementing training processes and mutual learning activities
- Proven experience in engaging with private sector and government actors
- Excellent professional networking skills with proven experience in synthesizing and organizing diverse stakeholder interests up to the highest governmental and multilateral levels
- Proven track record of successful project/programme proposal writing and funds acquisition in the field of climate resilience
- Successful track record in developing proposals, particularly for climate-related funds, would be an asset
- Strong capacity building, advocacy and positioning skills as well as excellent written communication and reporting skills
- Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for working in Welthungerhilfe’s project countries
- Excellent spoken and written English. French, German, and or Arabic language skills are an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
Method Of Application
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by February 4, 2024.Your contact person is Ina Stepka. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.