Job Title: Quality Assurance Manager
Incumbent(s) or Open: Open
Department/Country: Technical Services -Malawi
Duty Station: Lilongwe
Direct Report: Director of Technical Services – Malawi
Functional Report(s): Director of Technology – HQ
Date Finalized: January 2023
About Imagine Worldwide
Imagine Worldwide Ltd is a subsidiary of Imagine Worldwide, is a California-based (United States) nonprofit organization. Imagine exists to demonstrate that children with personalized technology in their hands can become literate and numerate with little or no adult instruction. More than 250 million children and youth worldwide do not have access to school. And hundreds of millions more go to school but never learn to read or write. We believe in working with schools and communities to address these seemingly intractable problems.
We are partnering with organizations across the globe to implement tablet-based learning solutions. We are
continuously building evidence on what works, why, and under what conditions. We use data to
continuously improve content, approach, and implementation. Then we provide tools, expertise, capital, and a network to enhance the ability to scale. We envision a world where all children have access to opportunity. Through rigorous implementation of tablet-based learning solutions in areas with few alternatives, we continue to open up limitless possibilities for all children.
Imagine Worldwide Ltd has partnered with the Ministry of Education, Government of Malawi, and other partners to scale up nationally an innovative Edtech program that is focused on improving literacy and numeracy skills among learners in standards 1-4 in all public primary schools in Malawi. To support this ambitious program, Imagine Worldwide Ltd seeks to engage a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager to join a team to support the Ministry of Education and other implementation partners in the successful roll out of the program.
The Quality Assurance Manager will play an instrumental role in carrying out Imagine’s mission, to test and scale tablet-based learning solutions that enable children in Malawi to become literate and numerate. The successful candidate will play a key role in providing technical leadership and coordinating quality assurance processes including testing the technology and its functioning, review the content and ensure it is consistent with teaching practices in Malawi. The role encompasses Technology Testing and Quality Assurance. The candidate will join a highly committed and collaborative team that is working together to empower every child, to achieve their full potential. The position offers an international, flexible, learning environment to enhance individual career development and growth.
The Quality Assurance Manager will work closely with Imagine’s Director of Technical Services and local implementing partners to fulfill 2 areas of responsibility. The first area is quality assurance of the learning software – onebillion’s onecourse software for Android and iOS which is in multiple languages, with a primary focus on Chichewa and English. The Manager will work with our partner onebillion to test new child-facing activities locally, providing feedback to help improve and iterate with them. They will be required to source, manage and support a team of adhoc testers during major software releases. The second area of quality assurance is targetted A/B experiments conducted on learners as test new or improved versions of the software, and collecting data before rolling out across all schools. Lastly, the final area of responsibility is quality assurance of the data collection and monitoring systems installed in schools that provide oversight our programs. This includes testing for and identifying failure points in the system and troubleshooting. The Quality Assurance Manager’s responsibilities will include – but will not be limited to the following:-
Software Quality Assurance
● Design, implement, conduct and oversee testing and quality assurance processes for onebillion
software on an ongoing basis as well as during major software updates
● Setup and manage Imagine test labs in the office and various schools to support the quality
assurance work and provide a showcase to funders and external stakeholders
● Functional testing of the onebillion software includes assessment of:
○ onecourselearning units (4000 per localisation) for content errors, incorrect graphics or poor
pronounciation and other unexpected behaviours
○ User experience and journey across adaptive learning sessions, correctness of adaptive algorithm outputs, navigation and menus of the software
○ Data outputs from the software in terms of analytic data correctness
● Source and manage a team of testers on an adhoc basis before major software releases:
○ Ensure testers are adequately trained to conduct tests
○ Ensuring quality of issue reporting
○ Manage division of labour across testers
○ Tracking individual tester performance.
● Acting as a main local liaison with one billion.
● Design, implement and conduct testing processes for customized versions of software on learners
in schools, against defined objectives
● Data collection and compilation from experiements to inform further decision-making and
● Contribute to ideation and problem solving to enhance the learner experience and improve learning
Data Quality Assurance
● Design, implement and conduct testing processes for data quality of data obtained from tablets,
monitoring systems and other tools used to support the program
● Develop and implement strategies to ascertain data accuracy, completeness, timeliness, consistency,
● Develop and implement strategies to conduct data validation and cleansing where required
The successful candidate will possess the following competencies, experiences, and qualities:
● Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field: Technology, Data Science, Quality Assurance
● A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Technology, Software and Data Management
● Good knowledge of computer hardware and software
● Experience of both iOS and Android operating systems
● Experience of using Github issues or similar to report and triage bugs
● Mac OS experience is beneficial
Specific skills (required)
Exceptional project management skills and proven experience that includes:
● Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Chichewa
● Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
● Ability to work effectively in multicultural environments and teams
● Strong organization skills and superior attention to detail
● Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
● Ability to proactively manage and resolve conflicts
● Ability to prioritize and display a high level of adaptability/flexibility while handling job responsibility
● Passion for Imagine’s mission and vision
● Demonstrated commitment to equity in educational access and outcomes
● Demonstrated competency in project management and desire to manage complex projects
● Demonstrated ability to think independently and solve problems
● Collaborative team player; clear and proactive communicator
● Flexible, adaptable, and able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Quality Assurance Manager must be based in Lilongwe, Malawi, with travel to field sites as
required. The Quality Assurance Manager will frequently collaborate and coordinate with local staff
from our Implementation Partner organizations, Imagine HQ and one billion.
Method Of Application
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Maureen Muhota at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please write “Your Name: – Quality Assurance Manager”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Details on Imagine’s operations, leadership and funders can be found at imagineworldwide.org.
Imagine Worldwide is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered
for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, veteran or disability status.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com