Project Overview and Role:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Public Health Emergencies Manager based in Lilongwe will report to the Maternal Health Technical Advisor and provide overall coordination and stewardship in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all current public health related emergencies Cholera and Covid and emerging public health issues such as floods in the 5 MOMENTUM 1 focus districts of Chikwawa, Mulanje, Machinga, Dowa and Lilongwe with guidance and support from the project Technical Lead and in close collaboration with District Health Planning and Strengthening Advisor. The Public Health Emergencies Manager will participate and contribute towards activity work plans, program implementation, program monitoring, and evaluation.
- Lead in the development of work plans (narrative and activities) and budgets for Cholera, Covid and other emerging public health emergencies in collaboration with the project technical team and MoH program managers
- Provide technical and strategic guidance on Covid 19 and Cholera that is technically sound, evidence-based and aligns to the priorities of Ministry of Health and responsive to USAID
Facilitate the utilization of standardized evidence based national standards, guidelines and protocols for Covid 19 and Cholera
- Develop and revise written plans for emergency preparedness and response and integrate procedures into the current emergency operational plans for public health.
In collaboration with DHMT, lead in building the capacity of service providers in prevention and management of Covid, Cholera and other emerging public health emergencies
- Develop, maintain and implement a training and clinical mentoring plan for MOMENTUM staff and MoH officers on Cholera, Covid 19 and other emergencies of public health interest
Coordinate delivery of Minimum Initial Service Package (MISP) for SRHR services in crisis situations in the 5 project districts
- Assist with actual response to health facilities to public health emergencies as needed, including during and beyond the standard hours of operation.
Plan, coordinate, participate and/or assist with drills of health facilities public health emergency response plans and points of dispensation for mass dispensation of drugs/vaccines
- Undertake scheduled visits to the districts to support implementation of Covid 19 and Cholera interventions
- Take the lead role in establishing the procurement needs to facilitate implementation
- Organize coordination meetings at national level with implementing partners working in the same districts to strengthen coordination, collaboration, leverage resources and avoid duplication of efforts
- Participate in quarterly reviews and Routine Monitoring of the COVID 19 Cholera in all the target districts.
- Provide technical and strategic support and guidance to the District Health Planning and Strengthening Managers in the implementation of interventions for Covid 19 and Cholera including mass vaccination
- Ensure integration of Covid 19 and Cholera activities within MNCH, FP/RH, Nutrition and Malaria in the 5 districts
- In liaison with the District Health Planning and Strengthening Manager and M&E officers, facilitate monthly project technical reviews and planning meetings at district level
- Coordinate with the M&E Officers in the review and consolidation of project reports from the district to MEL team at the central level
- In collaboration with finance team, follow through all program budgets and ensure timely implementation of activities.
- Provide technical inputs to the design and development work on SBC, with special focus on appropriate messaging on Covid 19 and Cholera interventions
- Represents project at national level stakeholder meetings and technical working groups in relation to Covid 19 and Cholera
- Provide technical stewardship and mentorship to Covid 19 and Cholera MoH focal point officers during technical meetings
- Proactiveness in monitoring emerging public health issues in the 5 districts and taking the lead role in timely reporting to MOMENTUM 1 senior management and developing recommendations for actions
- Contribute to annual work planning, quarterly reports, annual reports and other required technical reports
- Contribute to timely, accurate and appropriate reporting of project activities and results
- Contribute to documenting and communicating achievements for the project, share learning and best practices internally and externally with focus on Covid 19, Cholera and other emerging public health emergencies
- Demonstrate the highest degree of integrity throughout all activities and raise any concerns with implementation quality immediately with MOMENTUM 1 project management
- Contribute to scheduled project progress update meetings of Technical, Financial and M&E with MOMENTUM 1 management
- Contribute to all scheduled project technical planning and review meetings
- Contribute to the multi-sectoral collaboration with other relevant stakeholders and partners in Malawi
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor for successful implementation of Covid 19 and Cholera interventions
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health/Rural development /Social Studies or any health-related field with at least a minimum of three (3) years practical experience in community health or dealing with emergency/disaster response at community level.
- Good working experience in Community mobilization and participatory rural appraisal.
- Knowledge of public health emergency response planning models and ability to develop and enhance plans.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to organize and facilitate groups, and work collaboratively with diverse organizations.
- Familiarity with Government of Malawi health priorities
- Knowledge of district level service delivery networks and systems
- Knowledge of the functionality of decentralized systems at the district level
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, and the ability to develop and deliver technical presentations.
- Demonstrated advocacy and coordination skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks and short deadlines
- Knowledge of USG regulations that impact services delivery.
About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – Palladium is committed to embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into everything we do. We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity and expression, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or for any other circumstance, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch to discuss.
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
To apply for this job please visit palladium.csod.com.