Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Trust
The role will involve project management for all 3 arms of the Listen Hear Study. These include initial epidemiological school survey in urban Blantyre (1000 pupils); cross over pilot study of Bone conduction hearing device in school age children and conducting 30 semi structured pupil Interviews and multiple focus groups.
Additionally, the Programme Manager will include helping the group PI to maintain oversight of the projects and activities, including budgetary and reporting requirements, specifically necessary forms and documents required by COMREC/ CRSU/ other departments at MLW for studies to proceed. The individual will also work strategically to build the research portfolio around hearing including assisting with funding applications and will maintain strong links with external partners. They will support group meetings and external visitors as required.
- Plan and lead the implementation of projects within Listen Hear! in consultation with the Principal Investogator (PI), Audiology team and other clinicians, parents, teachers and schools, other academics at MLW and relevant stakeholders.
- Develop their own c.v. through contributions and authorships of aforementioned projects as per ICJME guidelines.
- Attend fortnightly mentorship meetings and fortnightly writing sessions with the Principal Investigator.
- Supervise and manage project staff working on Listen Hear!
- Support the achievement of high research standards of good clinical practice.
- Identify knowledge and skill gaps of group staff and develop an effective training plan for them.
- Facilitate communication between the research group and external stakeholders.
- Organize and document any group meetings and provide the required reports.
- Provide details about publication, progress and problem updates and any renewal of research protocols for discussion during Lung Health group meetings.
- Work with the PIs to manage project funds with complete documentation of all expenses incurred in accordance with donor and MLW guidelines and requirements.
- Liaise with the QECH Audiology team regarding HARK-van transportation and maintenance/petrol issues for all community/school study days as required.
- Ensure that stock levels are monitored and to procure stock in liaison with the PIs in a timely manner based upon stock levels or other relevant information/requirements, ordering new materials to MLW when required.
- Respond to monitors/auditor’s queries and prepare a monitor’s/auditor’s report in timely fashion.
- Work with the project teams to manage health& safety, space, logistics and all clinical and data collection activities for the Listen hear! studies, co-ordinate and maintain good working relationships with teachers, audiologists and any Ministry of Health staff there.
- Carry out any other relevant duties that may be assigned by the PIs.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in science or health-related field .
- Preferably 2 years work experience in research project management.
- Excellent IT skills including data entry, word-processing and Excel spreadsheets.
- Experience with database systems, programming and statistics an advantage.
- 2 or more years’ experience in a team management or supervisory position.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and lead complex projects.
- Previous health research experience
To apply for this job please visit www.mlw.mw.