In August 2021, United Purpose and Self-Help Africa (UP/SHA) merged at a Global Level. In Malawi the country programmes have merged together under one organogram. The merger of United Purpose and Self-Help Africa has given us a unique opportunity to create an organisation built on our shared values and ideals and one that draws on our collective experience, knowledge and skills to expand and improve our work across the countries we work in. This is never more evident than in Malawi as it is also the only country where both UP and SHA operate.
The GIZ funded Rural Women Entrepreneurs (RWE) project is a pilot project to develop Women’s Business Centres (WBCs) as a platform for digital service delivery in remote regions, that respond directly to chronic disconnection of the most under-resourced members of rural communities. As women-led organisations, WBCs offer access to skill development opportunities and aggregation services in a friendly, safe, and trusted environment which fosters community and wellbeing. In order to scale this model, the pilot will seek to engage with and strengthen existing community structures, identifying key women entrepreneurs who can lead cooperative social enterprise centres in the WBC model.
The Manager will be responsible for providing technical and operational guidance for the project team to ensure the successful implementation of the project. The Manager will lead in the planning, coordination, implementation of activities and periodic reporting in accordance with the implementation plan and annual work-plans. The Project Manager will also be responsible for the management of financial resources for the project and the supervision of programme and administrative staff
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership and management of all aspects of the programme cycle: design, planning, implementation, quality and accountability, monitoring and evaluation.
- Overall management responsibility for effective and efficient management and delivery of the project through annual planning, budgeting, reporting and day-to-day project operations consistent with project cycle management and the project’s goal with highest standards of programmatic quality.
- Manage the project team, including providing support and coaching to deliver project objectives, with individual performance objectives in place and regular feedback and monitoring of performance.
- Develop effective and relevant connections with public and private entities for the delivery of quality behaviour change communication and service delivery. Coordinate the interface with digital service providers and ensure seamless coordination between project stakeholders.
- Ensure that evidence-based project implementation systems at community and district level are developed and managed and influence policy and practice on the Farmer.
- Oversee data gathering and management, support analysis, and provide insight on findings/learnings throughout the project period.
- Support Business Development & Marketing with business plan development of women’s clubs
- Conduct trainings on health and wellbeing promotion for women entrepreneurs
- A BSc/BA in Social Sciences/Business/Community Development.
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management, rural enterprise development, women empowerment and extension.
- Up to date knowledge of new approaches in extension and current research.
- Skills on ICT operation, and proficient in using MS Office
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Respect to cultural diversity and gender sensitivity
- Ability to work under pressure, solve problems and take corrective action
- Ability to work in rural community in implementing programmes
- Good knowledge of Ms Office.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and analytical/problem-solving abilities.
Method Of Application
Qualified and interested candidates who meet the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please visit https://gsha.box.com/v/applicationform to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to email@example.com When submitting, please cite the position you are applying for in the subject title. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered. Please also ensure that the CV and cover letter is saved in your name. No hard copies / physical applications will be accepted.
Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is 12:00 Midnight of Friday, 23rd January, 2023 Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
United Purpose/Self Help Africa takes the safety and well-being of all those we work with, and our staff, very seriously. We have a zero-tolerance policy on abuse. Our recruitment is safe, meaning that we recruit staff with the highest values and standards of ethical behaviour. United Purpose has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.
For more information about UP/SHA, please visit our website at www.united-purpose.org/malawi/, http://www.selfhelpafrica.org.