Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
Job Title: Project Coordinator
Reporting to: Team Leader
Location: Blantyre, Malawi
The Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS) is a new University formed by merging the College of Medicine and Kamuzu College of Nursing and established by an Act of Parliament (No. 20 of 2019). It is a comprehensive health and allied sciences University and intends to train more health professionals that are globally competent but locally relevant.
KUHeS has received funds from the World Bank through the Government of Malawi towards a project called Skills for a Vibrant Economy (SAVE). As part of the drive to meet the current and emerging priority needs of the health sector, KUHES is seeking to undertake the following developments: develop new programmes; recruit and train faculty; review existing programmes to align them to the needs of stakeholders as well as to incorporate social and technological innovation and entrepreneurship in the programmes to strengthen and expand ICT capability in order to provide ODeL and blended learning; perform big data analysis for decision making; deliver health care through e-health and ensure continuing professional development for health care workers; establish an Equity and Diversity Unit to ensure development and operationalization of relevant policies in gender issues, sexual harassment and gender-based violence, inclusion, and student welfare.
To enable the above, SAVE KUHeS-Bt Project will construct and equip an Integrated Teaching and Innovation Hub incorporating a School of Dentistry. This facility will allow for increased enrolment in programmes including the newly introduced Bachelor of Dental Surgery; increased research capacity; management and analysis of big data, innovation and entrepreneurship.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for managing of the day-to-day activities of the project, coordination of administrative and financial components of the project, maintaining effective communication between members of the project team, ensuring that programme milestones are achieved on time, ensuring that the needs and requirements of the World
Bank are adhered to, including the production of regular reports.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan & co-ordinate activities with project staff and stakeholders in line with the project milestones and budget to ensure efficient planning and implementation of project activities;
- Gather and share regular progress updates from the Project Team to ensure project activities are on target.
- Liaising with the Team Leader and Finance to ensure project expenditures are within budget
- Coordinate and facilitate the compilation and timely submission of reports to internal stakeholders, funders and other bodies in line with funding requirements.
- To ensure that all agreed timelines for key tasks are adhered to by the project team and proactively discuss any difficulties with the Project Management Team
- Support the KUHeS M&E officer to ensure M&E activities are carried out according to budget and timeframe.
- To be a central contact point for the project and deal with/ or direct enquiries in a timely and efficient manner.
- To maintain effective communication between SAVE KUHeS-Bt Project, Programme
- Implementation Unit office at the Ministry of Education, and World Bank staff members.
- To provide administrative support for the project, including initiation and maintenance of systems and databases.
- Acting as a communication link between all project implementing partners and ensuring the efficient performance of the team;
- Coordinating the procurement of project equipment and supplies with relevant personnel;
- Planning trainings and meetings to support the project and its implementation;
- Ensuring the smooth and efficient day to day operation of research and data collection activities at the site; acting as the principle operational liaison for other
- SAVE Implementing Institutions, funding agencies and regulatory bodies
- Coordinating all activities for the project at the construction site;
- Coordinating the day-to-day activities of any technical support staff specifically engaged in the carrying out the project<
- Tracking and analyzing projects performance, expenditures, procurement and report about any possible or current blockers, risks, overflows, and deficits.
- Coordination of reports to the World Bank, which will involve collection of financial and scientific data.
- Performing other related duties as required by the site Project Team Lead.
- A minimum of a first degree in Administration/Management or any relevant field from a recognized and accredited institution.
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of project cycle management
- Direct work experience in a project management capacity
- Experience in managing, and monitoring grant-funded programmes;
- Proven experience in financial planning, management and control
- Excellent communicational skills
- Excellent knowledge of current Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills including team management
- Commitment to continuous professional development.
- Commitment to the development of others.
- Proven experience with team and financial management;
- IT competence (Word, Excel, Internet);
- Valid driving license.
- Qualification in Management and/or project management or their equivalent
- Experience of working in a higher education institution
- Interest to work in education and research environment
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their application letters, CV’s with 3 contactable referees and copies of Certificates to:
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
Applications sent by email must be submitted as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to the KUHeS-Bt SAVE Project Team: email@example.com
Applications should be submitted not later than 9th December 2022. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org