Amref Health Africa
Amref Health Africa was founded in 1957 and has since grown to become the largest African-based
international health development organization, currently implementing more than 120 programs,
directly reaching more than 12 million people across 35 African countries. Headquartered in Nairobi,
Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in ten countries in Africa and an additional eleven advocacy
and fundraising offices in Europe and North America. In the spirit of Ubuntu, partnership and
networking are key elements of our approach. Amref has a staff complement of over 2,000.
Amref Health Africa is driven by its vision of ‘Lasting health change in Africa’ and its mission ‘To
catalyze and drive community led and people-centered health systems and solutions while
addressing social determinants of health’.
With financial support from BMZ through the GIZ Malawi office, Amref Malawi will be implementing,
the IMPALA project, an intervention that aims to improve the emergency and critical care in the
pediatric and neonatal wards in Kapiri community hospital and Mchinji district hospital. The
intervention will be implemented in phases, starting with a six months’ implementation phase
(focusing on project inception, installation of patient monitors, training of key staff in the emergency,
nursery and neonatal wards in the two facilities, and monitoring.
The position holder will be based at the Head Office in Lilongwe. Reporting to the Head of
Programmes, the Programme Associate shall meet the below specifications:
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The incumbent will be a key member of Amref Malawi Projects’ Technical Team (PTT). An overseer of
day-to-day management and implementation of the IMPALA project activities, preparing quarterly
and annual work plans and budgets, preparing project reports, coordinating the involvement of actors
and projects’ stakeholders, and coordination of project meetings and activities
Specific Key Responsibilities:
- Establish and manage key networks and partnerships with relevant partners including NGOs,
CBOs and MOH or relevant Government Departments to promote Neonatal and Child Health
- Disseminate project information by preparing and disseminating project reports on a regular
basis, including financial and technical reports to HoP and all required project information to
- Maintain regular communication with members of the project management team.
- Organize and facilitate stakeholder participatory planning, monitoring and evaluation (review
- Ensure high quality delivery of service to district and community structures
- Provide supportive supervision and technical support to all project staff and beneficiaries on
neonatal and child health activities
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to the project team, and partner staff in targeted
facilities and institutions.
- Monitoring and evaluation of all project activities, ensuring that project activities are being
implemented as planned.
- Responsible for developing project work-plans and implementation schedules
- Compile monthly, quarterly and annual reports and submit to the HoP for further reporting
to the donor by deadlines set
- Monitor and control the project budget, carry out monthly expenditure analysis and manage
- Ensure program growth by participating in donor meetings and developing new project
- Develop project proposals and actively participate in fundraising activities for the
- Systematically document and produce knowledge products for internal and external usage.
- Any other duties as may be assigned
Requirements and Qualifications
- Degree in Nursing, Clinical Medicine, Public Health or relevant health field
- Minimum of Three years’ experience in project management, implementation, budget
management, and reporting.
- Experience in implementation of MNC&AH projects
- Experience working in the hospital especially in neonatal and nursery wards
- Experience working with patient monitors
- Trained in COIN – Care of the Infant and Newborn
- Good analytical, presentation, communication and reporting skills.
- Sound IT knowledge; word processing, spreadsheet, databases, presentations
- A good command of English and local languages
Method Of Application
Interested? Please visit our website https://amref.org/vacancies/ to make your application. You will
be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able
to submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the
best fit for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. Closing date will be January
30, 2024. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment. Although Amref may use different job boards from time to time to further spread its reach for applicants, all open vacancies are published on our website under the Vacancies page and on our official social media pages.
Kindly note that official emails from Amref Health Africa will arrive from an @amref.org address.