Synod of Livingstonia Health Department
Position: Project Accountant
Reports to: Assistance Finance and Administration Manager (AFAM)
Commitment: Full Time (Monday-Friday)
Working Hours: Regular Office Hours (40Hrs/Week)
Location: Coordination office (Mzuzu) and Rumphi
The CCAP Synod of Livingstonia Health Department was established in the year 1990 to coordinate the Synod health care work in its catchment area. The Synod of Livingstonia operates its health services in the Northern Region of Malawi in 4 of the 6 Northern Districts. The health facilities are in Mzimba District at Embangweni with all its health centres, Ekwendeni and all its health centres, Rumphi District at Livingstonia and all its health centres, Chitipa District at Msumbe and Nkhata Bay District at Kavuzi and Bandawe. Through service delivery and advocacy, SoLHD works to bring access to and use of high-quality EHP services to those most in need and serve as an antidote to despair. SoLHD is a member of Act-alliance and N’zatonse Consortium, a grouping of development partners that are implementing a project entitled: Strengthening Public- Private Partnership in Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Project with funding from the Joint Country Program (NCA-DCA). SoLHD is therefore seeking the services of qualified personnel for the N’zatonse SRHR project phase 5 which will be implemented in Mzimba South, Mzimba North and Rumphi district.
Position Description Overview:
The project accountant will have a leading role in the preparation of financial reports of the project, collaborating with the project technical team in preparation of requisitions, developing, maintaining, and analysing budgets, and preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs. Assisting Project Officers in the preparation of proposals and budgets and conducting budget reviews when need arises. He/She will ensure that project records are kept up-to-date and accessible.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and end-of-project financial reports
- Preparing and updating the project’s risk register and asset register
- Monitoring and controlling expenditure to ensure that appropriate action is taken by management to curtail any foreseeable negative impact on the project and the Commission’s operations.
- Updating the project’s procurement plan in collaboration with the procurement and logistics team.
- Assist the Program team in liquidation of advances.
- Assist in the payment of allowances to participants during project activities.
- Preparation of payments to vendors on the N’zatonse project according to the established approval procedures, ensuring that payment requisitions are properly supported and authorized and that statutory and all other payments as required are made on a timely basis.
- Ensuring that effective internal financial controls are implemented.
- Review project documents to ensure all payments are duly sanctioned and have the required supporting documentation before submission to the donor.
- Participating in preparing project budgets in conjunction with AFAM and M&E Manager for approval by the relevant authority.
- Providing information and assistance to internal or external auditors.
- Other duties as assigned by AFAM.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Expertise:
- Minimum of Diploma in Accountancy or Finance, with at least 3 years relevant experience in project finance management in an NGO set up those with a degree have an added advantage.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks or Sage Revolution accounting package is a desirable
- High degree of integrity, morality, ethics, and professionalism.
- Competence in Microsoft Excel and other related Microsoft Office packages.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- An innovative and effective team player
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Ability to prioritise and meet competing deadlines.
Method Of Application
Qualified and interested persons should apply to the address below, enclosing their cover letter; copies of relevant certificates and curriculum vitae indicating three names of traceable referees with valid telephone numbers and email addresses not later than 13th February 2024.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Executive Director
Synod of Livingstonia Health Department
P.O. Box 1000
NB: SoLHD is an equal opportunity employer as such every qualified and interested individual is encouraged to apply irrespective of gender, ethnic background, religious or political affiliation, or physical disability.