Health in Motion (HiM)
Closing date: November 20, 2022 Reports to: Managing Director
Location: Nkhata Bay Email: email@example.com
About Health in Motion
Health in Motion (HiM) is a locally based charity with a vision of seeing communities strengthened through physical movement for a more productive future.
Health in Motion is a start-up organization seeking to further establish itself within Malawi. The current position is located in Nkhata Bay, where all activities are currently implemented.
Over recent years, the director has begun looking at physical health challenges and therefore developed various teaching models to address these concerns for the rural communities. As Malawi is the 6th lowest healthcare in the world and with a limited access of infrastructure as well as rehabilitation support, a majority of those struggling with mobility limitations are found with limited support or knowledge to prevent such challenges. Through the developed models, our mission is to equip rural communities in sustaining physical movement. This is accomplished by providing home care for chronic limitations and teaching preventative injury methods (ergonomics) in daily activities for the general public.
As we are now aiming to further develop and establish our organization, this will enhance the ability to support physical health across rural Malawi. We aim to accomplish through building locally led initiatives and partnerships at a national level.
The programs manager will assist in the developing, strategizing and partnering of HiM to become more firmly established and recognized within Malawi. A key task within this process will be developing project proposals to ensure consistent funding.
The position will require critical judgement skills, forward thinking and independent work ethic for tasks to be completed effectively and efficiently.
The ideal candidate is expected to be an excellent leader (displays humility), team player and have experience in managing staff of different disciplines to produce results effectively.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure HiM’s, policies, values and procedures are known and implemented
- Organize activities in accordance with the program mission, goals and objectives.
- Developing new projects and activities to support the direction of HiM
- Create and manage short and long-term goals
- Deciding on suitable strategies and objectives within the development of the organization
- Coordinating cross-project activities
- Develop and manage budgets, operating plans, activities and deadlines
- Assessing risks and managing resources
- Assess program performance and aim to maximize value of outcomes
- Resolve projects’ higher scope issues
- Reporting to the program directors on various levels of progress and outcomes in all activities
- Maintain confidentiality in relation to data, patient care and program finances.
- Representing the organization to stakeholders and partners
- Strengthening the organization at district and national level
- Increasing the network of stakeholders and partners
- Supporting and building capacity of team members/volunteers
- Supervise, lead and manage activities, staff and projects
- Strategize opportunities, processes and outcomes to further develop the growth of HiM
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum diploma, ideally degree in management, (health systems management, community development, or any other qualification applicable to program management from a legitimized institution)
- Experience as a Program Manager or other managerial position focused on community development (minimum 2yrs)
- Must be competent in computer and IT skills. Strong knowledge of Microsoft programs
- Previous experience in funding proposal writing
- Effective time management.
- Organizational and communication skills
- Creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong organization skills (clear procedures and organized materials/data)
- Ability to communicate in English and vernacular (verbal and written)
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Willing to travel to remote areas (possibly on foot at times. +/- 4km max)
- Experience in conflict resolution
- Experience working with elderly populations
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with partner organizations, staff, volunteers and general public.
- Willing to challenge the confines and roles within culture for the betterment of physical health