The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is a regional non-profit research and policy Institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. Our primary purpose is to contribute to sustainable development through the use of evidence and advocacy to strengthen political commitment and resource allocation for development issues; informing the design and implementation of effective interventions; and strengthening governance and accountability structures for tracking development challenges in Africa. AFIDEP is registered as a Non-Governmental Organisation in both Kenya and Malawi (where it has offices) and as a non-profit institution in the USA with 501(c)3 status. For further details about AFIDEP and its work refer to www.afidep.org.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
AFIDEP, together with other partners, is implementing a five-year global project called Building Capacity for Integrated Family planning and Reproductive Health (FP/RH) and Population, Environment and Development (PED) Action (BUILD) funded by the U.S. Agency for international Development (USAID) through the Office of Population and Reproductive Health (PRH) in Washington D.C. The other consortium partners are Leadership for Environment and Development Southern and Eastern Africa (LEAD SEA); PATH Foundation Philippines Inc. (PFPI); FHI 360; and Pan-African Climate Justice Alliance (PACJA).
BUILD is designed to leverage the interconnectedness of Population, Environment and Development (PED), to spur strong political commitment, sustained financial resources, and accountability for voluntary family planning (FP) and reproductive health (RH) in low-and middle-income countries (LMICs). BUILD seeks to amplify the PED approach for transformative action across disciplinary, geographical, sociocultural and sectoral divides encompassing population dynamics, health, environment, climate change, resilience, livelihoods, food security, education, and governance.
The project is being implemented from 4 regional hubs in Eastern Africa (Kenya), Southern Africa (Malawi), Western Africa (Cote d’Ivoire) and Asia Pacific (Philippines).
ABOUT THE POSITION
Our organization is seeking a dynamic and experienced Program Manager with international experience in cross-sectoral development policy, research, advocacy and programming to manage the BUILD project. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the project across the implementing consortium partners and countries in hub countries and field support buy-ins. S/he will ensure that project activities are delivered on time, within budget, and to the highest quality standards.
The position will be based at AFIDEP’s Nairobi office or Lilongwe office.
- Provide overarching management and direction throughout the entire program lifecycle from start up through close out.
- Develop procedures to increase performance by implementing sound quality management processes.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with project partners and stakeholders. Drive customer satisfaction with on-time delivery, exceptional performance, and accountability.
- Address contractual and technical programmatic issues with partners, consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Develop, implement, and enforce Standard Operating Procedures related to programmatic activities, duties and responsibilities.
- Oversee development of project plans, including timelines, budgets, and work plans, and ensure that the project activities are delivered on time, within budget, and to the highest quality standards.
- Ensure necessary resources are provided to meet program requirements, directing, controlling, and ensuring procurements are made in accordance with organizational and donor policies and requirements.
- Develop and manage project budgets, ensuring that they are accurate, up-to-date, and in line with project objectives and donor requirements.
- Ensure that the project activities are implemented in compliance with organizational policies, donor requirements, and local laws and regulations.
- Manage project staff, including consultants and partners, and ensure that they are adequately trained and supported to deliver high-quality work.
- Conduct regular monitoring and evaluation of projects and prepare timely and accurate reports for donors and other stakeholders.
- Build strong relationships with donors, partners, and other stakeholders, and represent the organization in meetings and events.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as international development, public policy, and other social sciences.
- At least 10 years of experience managing complex, multi-sectoral development projects in international settings.
- Must possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills, be very detailed orientated, flexible and have strong organizational and time management skills.
- Experience working with funders such as USAID, DFID, or the World Bank, and a strong understanding of funders’ rules and regulations.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to develop and manage budgets, work plans, and timelines.
- Strong skills in cross sectoral policy advocacy and communication.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong relationships with donors, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Strong writing skills, with experience developing high-quality project reports and other written materials.
- Experience managing staff, consultants, and partners across different geographies, and the ability to provide effective leadership and support.
- Must be proficient in financial management, personnel management, and sub-award management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to effectively collaborate, cooperate and interface with multiple levels of stakeholders to achieve results.
- Deep understanding of, and work experience in, many of the project’s hub countries and regions.
- Fluent in English, with proficiency in French desirable.
Method Of Application
To apply for this position, please submit a detailed CV and cover letter to email@example.com including the position title “BUILD Project – Program Manager” on the subject of the email by 26th May 2023. In your cover letter, please highlight your relevant experience and qualifications, and explain why you are interested in this position. Your CV should include three relevant referees. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org