Evidence Action is a global nonprofit organization with an approach distinctive in international development – we exclusively scale interventions that are backed by strong evidence and can be delivered with exceptional cost-effectiveness. Since our founding in 2013, we have reached over 515 million people globally with our interventions. We deliver high impact for every dollar spent, as recognized by GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, and Charity Navigator. We do development differently: We take a data-driven approach to identifying, scaling, and continuously improving programs which deliver immense impact, ensuring these solutions measurably improve the lives of millions. Our Deworm the World Program has helped governments in Africa and Asia deliver over 1.8 billion childhood deworming treatments, improving health, education, and incomes. Safe Water Now provides sustained safe water access to over 10 million people in Africa, preventing childhood illness and deaths. We drive innovation:Our Accelerator builds the next generation of exceptional programs, taking an approach most similar to a venture capital model. We are ruthless in exiting programs which do not meet our criteria; those that advance deliver outsized impact for millions of people. We are global: Across nine countries in Africa and Asia, our 700+ people are united by a tremendous passion for our mission and impact. We are strong because of our diversity of experience, geography, and background – with over 90% of our people in the countries where our impact is focused. We have big ambitions: Over the next decade, we’re setting our sights higher: We aim to reach over 600 million people globally to fulfill our vision of a world where hundreds of millions of people in the poorest places have better opportunities and their lives are measurably improved. We believe in bold and urgent action – because poverty doesn’t wait, and neither should we. We need great people: Our success to date is due to the collective work of our amazing staff. To achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for people who share our passion for evidence, cost-effectiveness, and scale. We seek individuals who take an entrepreneurial approach, enjoy tackling hard problems, and have a bias to action and results. If our vision and approach excite you as much as it does us, we invite you to join us.
This position exist;
- To ensure the integrity of accounting function and information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and booking transactions and proper serialization and safe filing of documents.
- The position has access to organization’s confidential information that need to be protected by adhering to organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- The Officer, Finance, will act as a resource and/or coordinate resources between Field and Country office, and perform other duties as defined by the Country finance leadership.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the field office petty cash. This includes reconciliation of the petty cash, liquidation and replenishments of funds
- Support management of assets register. Keeping track of updates made on the electronic Fresh Desk system updates by Operations Department.
- Managing receivables from the field offices, ensuring timely liquidations in line with Evidence Action’s finance policies and procedures.
- Keeping track of all disbursed funds for program activities
- Submitting weekly and monthly balances status to the Associate Manager, Finance
- In corroboration with the Accountant and operations/procurement departments ensuring that;
- timely processing of invoices for suppliers and services providers.
- all payments to suppliers are made on time, receipts, delivery notes are corrected and properly filed with the appropriate payment vouchers.
- collect suppliers’ statements and reconcile unpaid invoice balances so that Procurement/Operations may initiate payments.
- Accurate posting of approved staff liquidations onto accounting System per set timelines
- Represent the Finance team in various program meetings where necessary in field office.
- Reviewing staff returns ensuring compliance with policies and procedures.
- Ensure that internal controls are adhered to in the day today office operations.
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications & skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field.
- Ongoing professional accounting certification will be an added advantage
- At Least 1- 2 years’ work experience in a position with similar responsibilities.
- Strategic and tactical critical thinker with good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Confident decision maker who can communicate directions and solutions clearly to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Understanding of the business role (operations and procurement) function within the programs and organization, and to set objectives based on that.
- Metrics driven performance philosophy.
- Proficiency with accounting systems, Microsoft applications.
- Proficient in spoken and written English with good interpersonal and communication skills.
The position will be based at our office in Balaka and will work closely with the in-country Finance function lead Closing date for receiving applications will be on Thursday 25th January 2024 by 5pm but shortlisting will be done on rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.