Médecins sans Frontières France
MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES FRANCE –BLANTYRE
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a non-profit, independent international humanitarian organization committed to delivering medical aid to populations facing crises, with a steadfast commitment to impartiality and without regard to race, religion, creed, or political affiliation. In Malawi, MSF collaborates closely with the Ministry of Health and the local community, particularly in the Cervical Cancer project in the Blantyre district, as well as the CBO Project in Zalewa and Dedza District.
MSFF is looking for its Blantyre Cervical Cancer Project Office:
NURSING TEAM SUPERVISOR- IPD (Inpatient Department) -1 POSITION
Workplace : Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH) Blantyre
Type of contract : 1 Year Fixed Term Contract with possible extension
Start date : February 2024
Main purpose of the position
Plan, organize, and evaluate the activities concerning nursing and the team associated, according to MSF values, policies and protocols and universal health standards, in order to warrant the quality and continuity of the health care and the development of the plan of action.
Reporting to the Head Nurse, the IPD Nursing Team Supervisor will oversee the Nursing and other stipulated activities in the MSF Blantyre Cervical Cancer In-Patient Department, ensuring high-quality care for hospitalized surgical patients during the pre and postop periods; patients requiring supportive and palliative care; CCRT patients, and other hospitalized patients as may be required according to project evolution. The Supervisor will manage the IPD Nurses, Nurse Aides, and Hygienists, coordinate with surgeons and anesthesiologists, to maintain the highest standards of patient care and infection control within the Units under his/her supervision according to MSF standards and protocols.
- Supervise the IPD Team, providing guidance and mentoring to ensure competent and compassionate patient care.
- Implement and monitor adherence to all relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines related to the nursing care of cervical cancer patients.
- Coordinate with the multidisciplinary team to facilitate seamless preparation of patients scheduled for surgery and provide them immediate post-operative care according to protocols.
- Ensure that all patient care activities are carried out in compliance with hospital policies and standards set by health authorities and MSF.
- Participate in the development and delivery of training programs for IPD staff to enhance skills pertinent to Nursing management of cervical cancer patients and other gynaecological cancers as may be validated by the project.
- Manage the calling of patients scheduled for surgeries and staff rosters to ensure the delivery of optimum nursing care.
- Participate in conducting regular audits and risk assessments to ensure continuous quality improvement in the IPD.
- Enusre that all nursing procedures are accurately documented and the maintenance of comprehensive patient records.
- Participate in the morbidity and mortality reviews, contributing insights for the improvement of patient outcomes.
- Provide support and mentorship while ensuring that for all IPD Nursing staff understands and promptly utilizes patient care escalation process available in the department.
Human Resource Management Responsibilities:
- Staff Supervision and Development:
- Conduct performance appraisals for the IPD staff, providing constructive feedback and identifying areas for professional development.
- Facilitate a supportive and collaborative work environment, promoting teamwork and mutual respect among all staff under his care.
- Participate in the recruitment, orientation, and training of new IPD Nurses, Nurse Aides, and Hygienists in order to ensure a well-qualified and competent workforce.
- Conflict Resolution:
- Address interpersonal conflicts and professional disputes within the teams under his supervision promptly and effectively, employing appropriate conflict resolution strategies.
- Serve as a mediator to resolve issues that may arise between his/her teams and other departments.
- Professional Development:
- Encourage and facilitate continuous medical education and training opportunities all IPD staff.
Participation in Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Data Collection and Reporting:
- Ensure accurate and timely documentation of nursing procedures, patient outcomes, and any adverse events or complications.
- Ensure the collection of data required for monitoring and evaluation of overall nursing team activities/performance
- Quality Improvement:
- Participate in the analysis of the collected data to identify trends, areas for improvement, or successful interventions.
- Implement and monitor quality improvement initiatives based on data analysis and M&E findings.
- Situation Reports (SitReps):
- Contribute to the development of Sitreps by providing relevant data and narrative descriptions of the IPD activities, challenges, and achievements.
- Regular Updates and Reporting:
- Provide regular updates to the Head Nurse on the status of the IPD including staff performance, patient care issues, equipment needs, and supply inventories.
- Prepare and submit detailed reports upon request on any incidents within the units under his/her supervision.
- Strategic Planning:
- Collaborate with the Head Nurse in the development and implementation of strategic plans for the IPD, ensuring alignment with the overall goals of the Cervical Cancer Project.
- Participate in regular meetings with the Head Nurse to discuss strategic initiatives, operational challenges, and departmental achievements.
- Policy and Protocol Development:
- Disseminate information received from the Head Nurse about policy changes or organizational updates to all IPD staff in a timely and clear manner.
- Resource Advocacy:
- Advocate for necessary resources and support by communicating the IPD needs to the Head Nurse, including staffing, equipment, training, and budgetary considerations.
- High Dependence Unit Patients Care:
- Ensure all IPD Nursing staff understand the admission criteria for the HDU and can independently provide the level of monitoring and surveillance needed by the patients.
- Provide support and mentorship while ensuring that for all IPD Nursing staff understands and promptly utilizes patient care escalation process available in the department vis-à-vis management of HDU patients.
- Ensure proper documentation and reporting of all nursing activities in the HDU to enable proper monitoring and evaluation the activities.
The above-mentioned responsibilities are not exhaustive. You may be asked by your supervisor to perform other tasks even if they are not documented in the job description.
- Excellent leadership and team management abilities.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Proficiency in critical care nursing practices and standards.
- Knowledge of current best practices in pre and postoperative care for cervical cancer patients.
- Good knowledge of Surgical Wound Careand Pain Management Protocols
- Proficiency in Infection Control and Prevention Measures
- Ability to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an empathetic approach to patient care.
- Competence in using healthcare IT systems and patient management software.
- Performance will be evaluated based on patient outcomes, adherence to protocols, staff performance and development, and patient and staff satisfaction.
|Essential at least a Nursing Diploma
|Essential 2 years of previous experience as IPD Nurse. Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s and in developing countries is desirable.
Experience of gynecological, oncological, and surgical nursing desirable.
|English and Chichewa
|Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel, and Internet).
|People Management Commitment, Flexibility, Results, Teamwork
Method Of Application
Documents to provide
Cover letter, Updated CV, ID Copy and relevant certificates
Deadline for submission of application: 21st January 2024
Application should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager
Médecins sans Frontières France
P.O. Box 2736, Blantyre
And submitted ONLY through email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with in subject: NURSING TEAM SUPERVISORIPD, Full Name (Indicate only the Position and Your Full Name as part of the Subject Line of the email). NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal opportunity employer: all applicants will be equally considered under the same criteria and expectations. MSF does not charge any application/recruitment or training fees: if ever you are requested to pay any amount to process your application or access employment with MSF, do not pay and please inform the MSF administration on email: email@example.com as soon as possible