mothers2mothers (m2m) is an African Primary Health Care organisation that employs women living with HIV as community health workers across 10 African nations. These “Mentor Mothers” deliver integrated health services at clinics and in communities to ensure everyone, everywhere, has access to the services they need to be healthy and stay in care. Over the next five years, this proven, peer-led model is being scaled up to double down on ending HIV, as well as to tackle new health challenges and reach more people – all with the aim of building a fairer, healthier future. The employment of local women as community health workers means that we are delivering a model that prioritises healthcare for families who need it most, delivered by women who know them best. Since its creation in 2001, m2m has created jobs for nearly 12,000 women living with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa and, together, they have reached over 15M people with critical health services and education. In 2021, m2m reached over 1.6M people across 10 African nations, including 402,616 adolescents (ages 10-19) – 51% more than the year before. m2m also advanced the Global Goals of ending HIV/AIDS by 2030 – by achieving virtual elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV among its enrolled clients for the eighth consecutive year, and meeting all of the ambitious UNAIDS Fast-Track Targets among its clients four years ahead of the 2026 target date. For more information, visit www.m2m.org
The NCD Nurse will implement clinical Nursing activities in meeting NCD requirements of the comprehensive quality clinical services. S/he will facilitate case finding at the facility, support the project team to track referrals and linkages, monitor pregnant and postnatal clients on adherence to cancer screening, retention, and ensure dissemination of accurate information is provided to the clients. S/he will also work closely with the Community Mentor Mothers to improve linkage to the care system with and ensuring beneficiary direct service linkages and referrals to health, social assistance and protection related services. S/he will also routinely check project data to identify areas for beneficiary follow-up and quality improvement on the ground. S/he will work closely with stakeholders in Ministry of Health in particular Non-Communicable Diseases. The nurse will be responsible for providing emotional and psychological care during the screening process in case of anxiety, fear or stigma. She will provide ongoing training and education to clients, m2m staff and all those that require training. This position will be based in Lilongwe.
Key Performance Areas:
- Essential care package for pregnant women and postnatal women requiring screening of NCDs (BP, Breast and Cervical Cancer)
- Provision of results to clients after being screened for NCDs.
- Referral of clients requiring medical attention
- Follow up of clients after being initiated on cancer treatment.
Support and Mentorship to MCH staff:
- Support the MCH facility staff to maintain quality improvement programs for improving the quality-of-service delivery of NCDs screening and care and treatment services provided by health care staff.
- On-site training and mentorship of MCH staff on quality improvement methods.
- In Collaboration with M and E team develop and monitors and, carry out regular performance measurement at MCH level.
Data Reporting and Quality management:
- Submit reports, and ensure completeness, accurate and timely submission of data.
- BIO Lifestyle will be incorporated into the program to ensure data quality management.
- Participate in any data review meetings with the Site Coordinator and M and E team-both m2m and Ministry of Health
Representation of m2m at district and facility levels:
- Participate in the facility clinical meetings and also ensure sharing of guidelines and good practice in comprehensive NCD quality service delivery.
- Represent the facility in the district and national forums.
- Collaborate with the facility staff and ensure m2m is well represented and also communicate effective with the management team on all facility clinical related issues.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Diploma in General Nursing
- Diploma in Midwifery or related causes
- Registration with Malawi Nurses Council as a Nurse Midwife
- Certificate in Cervical Cancer Screening will be an added advantage
- Prior clinical work experience in providing RMNCH will be an added advantage
- Good communication skills
- Good report writing & training skills
- Basic filing skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Possess good analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability and willingness to meet reporting deadlines
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, remain calm and have sensible judgment
- Ability to multi-task duties and apply practical problem-solving skills as needed
- Willing and able to uphold m2m values
To apply for this job please visit mothers2mothers.hua.hrsmart.com.