Advancing Girls’ Education in Africa (AGE Africa)
Advancing Girls’ Education in Africa (AGE Africa) seeks an experienced, motivated, dynamic, talented, and result-oriented Malawi National to fill the post of Monitoring and Evaluation officer within the organization.
The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will report directly to the Programs and Learning Manager (PLM). She/he will facilitate managing the essential aspects of AGE Africa’s overall M&E framework. She/he will assist the PLM in planning and updating all M&E activities. She/he will liaise with the U.S. office and support all Malawi-based staff in planning and managing M&E efforts. This position is based in Blantyre, AGE Africa’s Malawi Head Office.
About AGE Africa
AGE Africa was founded in 2005 as a scholarship fund in response to the overwhelming need for financial support for adolescent girls’ education in Malawi. AGE Africa partners with rural communities in Malawi to deliver a high-impact multi-pronged approach that harnesses individual agency for girls by providing comprehensive scholarships and life skills programming. AGE Africa believes adolescent girls are key to achieving women’s socio-economic empowerment as the experiences, knowledge, skills, and agency acquired in adolescence have important implications for an individual’s prospects in adulthood.
Advancing Girls’ Education in Africa’s mission is to provide life-changing opportunities for young women in Malawi through targeted initiatives in education, mentoring, and leadership development. Our vision is that girls in Malawi become leaders of change in their families, communities, and country in both the public and private sectors as a result of equal access to and completion of secondary and post-secondary education or training.
Purpose of the role
This position aims to keep the Programs team up to date with all of the activities related to Monitoring and Evaluation field visits and follow-up as required. He/she is to ensure that follow-ups on outside activities directly related to the organization are made specifically with counterparts until they are completed.
Major Responsibilities of the role:
Monitoring and Evaluation and Reporting (80%)
- Review existing project M&E plans and make necessary updates in consultation with the PLM & District Officers.
- Monitor M&E systems for ongoing programs: analyze strengths and weaknesses in relation to objectives with an aim to improve program quality and M&E standards.
- Develop M&E tools and guidelines and promote the use of these references.
- Facilitate planning and participate in the implementation of project surveys, evaluations, and other data collection and analysis.
- In collaboration with PLM, Manage consultants and/or enumerators recruited to conduct surveys or support other M&E activities.
- Develop and maintain modern management information systems with effective tools and systems for the timely flow of information to stakeholders
- Ensure that District Project staff are regularly visited to confirm compliance with the principles of project management and good governance as laid down in the project protocol
- Provide support to the Program team in preparing and submitting donor-compliant monthly and quarterly progress reports detailing all observations and deviations from sound project management practices.
- Reviewing and storing data and reports received from program staff. Using AGE Africa internal storage system
- Ensure all monitoring visits are documented, filed, and copies are given to stakeholders when necessary.
- Creation and or adoption of data collection tools and methodologies to track the performance of indicators, outputs, and outcomes
- Undertake data quality assessments (DQA) for the project(s) data sets.
- Assess project progress and outcomes and advise relevant personnel on the quality of implementation and results.
- Train program staff on M&E frameworks, data collection tools, and data quality compliance
Partnership and Fundraising (10%)
- Ensure project efficiency and effectiveness in providing input during project activation stages such as budgeting, implementation designs and work-plan development
- Ensure that each project is implemented within specific performance frameworks
- Coordinate Proposal development and ensure timely submission of quality proposals
Capacity Building (10%)
- Support the Program and Learning manager in training staff appropriate data collection, entry and reporting.
- Supporting Project Officers and district officer to conduct surveys.
- Support staff in preparing for the project external data quality audit to ensure validity, integrity, precision, reliability and timelines
- Support project teams to identify data gaps and suggesting corrective action on time to Programs and Learning Manager.
- Uphold and work within AGE Africa policies and procedures, including Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection policies
- Promote AGE Africa’s across the organization and partners
- Travel to the project sites and when required
- Undertake any other duties, as appropriate to the post, as delegated by the Programs & Learning Manager.
- At least three years’ experience in NGO, Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Previous proven professional M&E skills and experience for INGOs, NGOs or CSOs
- Demonstrable ability to develop relationships with partners at local and international levels and trusts
- Working within a charitable environment, preferably within an international development NGO
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent written skills with the ability to design and manage databases.
- High standard of statistical packages like SPSS, STATA, EPI-Info, and Advanced Microsoft Office, i.e. (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook, and the Internet).
- Demonstrable ability to plan and prioritize own workload with minimum supervision.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills are required.
- Proven Knowledge of mobile data management software (business intelligence tools e.g., Google data studio, Kobo Toolbox, ODK MS Power BI, Tableau)
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and work well under pressure.
- Ability to plan ahead and work within agreed timeframes
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as required
Education / Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics/ Development studies/Economics/Monitoring & Evaluation or Project Management from recognized university.
- Strong background in Monitoring and Evaluation.
Method Of Application
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should submit their application, including detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with three traceable referees clearly marked with the position being applied for to:
Advancing Girls Education in Africa ( AGE Africa),
Malawi Post Corporation Conference Centre,
Opposite Blantyre Museum
P.O Box 31074,
Closing date for receiving of applications is 30th January 2023
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org