VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone, so that each person has the health care needed to thrive. We develop solutions that improve equity and access to primary health care. This includes making sure products are available when and where they are needed and primary health care services are delivered to the most under-reached. Radical collaboration with governments, the private sector and other partners strengthen our ability to scale and sustain these solutions. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 58 million people in Africa. VillageReach in incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
The Manager, Business Development is a new position for VillageReach Malawi, key to the expansion of a growing international NGO. This position will support country leadership in business engagement and fundraising efforts, to build a healthy pipeline of funding opportunities with multilaterals, bilaterals, foundations and corporations. This position will also support relationship management with government and local and locally-based partners that position the organization for success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Provide guidance and support for country office-based business development activities, including engaging in strategic planning with country-based staff.
- Manage implementation of country business development strategy/plan and work closely with CDs, DCDs and global Business Development Staff to build engagement strategy for donors and support the cultivation of donors, particularly country donor representatives
- Scope, research and map existing and potential donors and partners, including identifying new priority connections and networks and tracking forecasts of upcoming country funding opportunities
- Assist CDs and DCDs in managing portfolio of top existing and potential donors and partners
- Keep track of government and donor policy and strategy documents to inform VillageReach BD efforts and ensure alignment
- Work with Country Directors and Business Development Team to create strong position for VillageReach with government leaders and partners, including Primary Recipients and other Primes, and support development of partnership and consortium opportunities that can position VR to be successful with institutional partners
- Facilitate Business Development Team meetings and manage donor tracker
- Prepare for donor and partner meetings by providing research, coordinating, planning approach, setting agenda, preparing collateral
- Write and/or support colleagues with writing donor correspondence, investment cases, capability statements and concept notes.
- Provide required support for proposal development, which may include assessing Go/No-Go, coordination, research, technical writing,
- Assist program, solution leads, and Grants & Contracts staff with donor reporting by helping to monitor grant reporting timelines and helping to prepare quality, succinct, data-driven reports for donors.
- Liaise with the Advocacy & Comms colleagues to ensure donor engagement communication material is developed and updated
- Strengthen organizational capacity in business development, including enforcing clear and structured business development processes and tools such as the Business Development SOP and Salesforce.
- Mentor colleagues in all aspects of business development, including relationship management and proposal development.
- Manage donor records, correspondence, action items and new opportunities for pursuit and Track and ensure follow-up actions are completed.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of VillageReach solutions and strategies to create links between VillageReach priorities and partners’ and donors’ priorities.
This position reports to the VillageReach Country Director. They will collaborate and coordinate with peers in other offices, and with Global Business Development Team staff who are based regionally and in the United States. This position will be based in Lilongwe.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in international development. Experience in global health highly preferred.
- Demonstrated success in developing winning proposals in organization with annual budget of at least $3M
- Demonstrated success in supporting growth of fundraising program, including increase in donors and improved efficiency
- Experience seeking funding from multilateral and bilateral donors such as USAID
- Experience collaborating with large implementing partners and primes such as UNICEF, World Vision, JSI, Chemonics, etc.
- Comply with VillageReach’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Fluent in English
- Ability to define and set priorities and problem solve
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced organization and work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm, diplomacy, and cultural sensitivity.
- High level of interpersonal communications skills to establish and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, donors and partners and demonstrated experience in creating high-level collaborations.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with willingness to tackle process challenges, develop tools, and reinforce internally
- Excellent writing skills with ability to translate complex information into clear language.
Environment And Physical Demands:
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our USA office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am. In addition, our Regional Africa based staff and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm. Approximately 90% of the workday is spent sitting. Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
This is a hire for 21 November 2022 and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until 3 October. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
VillageReach is committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults, and beneficiaries with whom it engages. We expect everyone working with us to share this commitment through our code of conduct.All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which may include criminal records. VillageReach participates in the Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and, in line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By applying, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Compensation:VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.
To apply for this job please visit www.villagereach.org.