UpEnergy (www.upenergygroup.com) brings aspirational products that save energy and improve lives within reach of low-income customers. Specifically, we strive to produce valuable health and environmental outcomes by providing customers with products that they love and use every day. Our approach combines a hyperlocal, on the ground team that works closely with partners and customers alike along with the generation and sale of carbon emission reductions that allow us to provide our products to end users at affordable prices.
We sell products under our SmartHome brand, and through partnerships with other brands. We operate local distribution networks and build relationships directly with customers through the SmartHome sales operation. We’ve seen 100%+ year on year growth for many years and have reached over 800,000 African households with products that deliver health and income benefits. A typical SmartHome stove saves each family we reach about 9% of their annual income while reducing air pollution.
UpEnergy has a 10+ year track record of building bespoke projects that outperform expectations in the generation of emissions reductions, and that deliver on the energy savings promise to our customers. We are one of the largest developers by volume of projects focused on poverty alleviation through energy savings and fuel switching. Our team has a collective 50 years of experience and is at the forefront of Paris-era project finance.
About The Role:
Reporting to the Finance and Operations Manager| Malawi & Zambia, the Talent Coordinator, as part of the Human Resources team, your role will be to implement the Global Talent Strategy and promote an organizational culture of teamwork, service, high quality transparency, accountability, innovation, and inclusiveness In Malawi. The Talent Coordinator will provide support and guidance to the Malawi office. The Talent Coordinator will assist the team with all aspects of the HR function and play a key role in building and development, implementation and alignment of Talent Programs while supporting them with day-to-day human resources needs in Malawi.
Compensation, Benefits, and Employee Engagement:
- Own BambooHR, and update staff data base regularly, ensure new hires are captured and onboarded via BambooHR. Oversee and liaise with Line managers on all due contract renewals, probation assessments or confirmations and prepare contracts or renewals for the team.
- Managing relationships with the team and health insurance on issues relating to new additions, replacements, de-registering, and refunds.
- Ensure that the legal compliance and implementation of applicable statutory requirements for Malawi team.
- Manage monthly payroll updates to finance in line with current positions and help resolve and follow up on payroll queries (Salaries, Bonus, Bank details)
- Take full responsibility of the country recruitment with support from Global Talent Acquisition Manager.
- Work closely with management and drive the learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for team.
Employee Relations: Talent Policies and Procedures:
- Assist assist with the communication of Global Talent policies and ensure they are applied within the Malawi team and enforce organizational values.
- Provide guidance and act as a bridge between management and team members by addressing demands, grievances, disciplinaries and other HR related issues
- Responsible for overall monitoring and monthly reporting of all employee leave days and ensuring that all Paid Time Off (PTO) requests are submitted through BambooHR.
- Work with management to ensure leave alignment across the business unit
Talent Management & Leadership Development:
- Work closely with management to execute any retention and succession planning and support initiatives to develop leadership skills in Leaders and Managers.
- In consultation with departmental heads, implement coaching and mentoring programs.
Performance Management and HR Compliance:
- Provide support to the teams at all levels to implement performance management culture and ensure the effective and timely implementation of the appraisal process of quarterly coffee chats and annual reviews, as well as the ongoing regular check-in meetings, to enable efficient performance management and individual development plans.
- Engage line managers with regards to learning and development programs and training opportunities for employees at all levels.
Does This Sound Like You:
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in Human Resource Generalist Role
- Knowledge of office and administrative practices
- Skill in both verbal and written communication
- Skill in problem solving and decision-making
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field
- A professional qualification/certification in HR
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Knowledge of an HR System
Why Join Us?
Not your average 9-to-5
UpEnergy encourages teamwork, creativity, and we’re not afraid to get our hands dirty. We stay close to our market, understand our customers, and have a lot of fun while doing our work! If you’re looking for a conventional 9-to-5, you’d be missing out on our adventures!
Opportunity to do things in a new way
As one of the largest compliance credit issuers in Africa, we need to be constantly improving and rethinking our way of work. This means endless opportunities for a self-starter to initiate new ways of doing things or experimenting ways to help us improve.
Personal and Career Growth
Wouldn’t it be a pity to spend so much time working but not growing and learning? At UpEnergy we value both personal and professional growth, and we want to grow as a team. From classroom training to coffee chats to performance review, we want to support every team member to grow into the best version they can.
Create Lasting Impact
Our clean energy products bring positive impact to both our planet earth and for the low-income communities we work in. We don’t just focus on sales – we follow up and truly understand our customers to make sure that they continue to benefit from our products. Your work will create much longer-lasting impact than what you can see!