Primarily responsible for supporting the Legal Department in respect of company’s corporate and commercial matters including intellectual property matters.
REPORTING TO THE HEAD-LEGAL SERVICES, THE ROLE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
Ensuring that all corporate commercial transactions agreements are drafted and processed within the Quality and Time Standards agreed with the respective business units of the Company:
- Assisting in drafting of Agreements on variegated issues involving wide spectrum of Law to eliminate the chances of Litigation and safeguarding organizational interest.
- Familiarizing self with provisions of the Company DOA and relevant policies on Contract Documentation.
- Checking and ensuring that instructions to prepare contracts are well documented by User Groups and approved in line with the Company DOA.
- Ensuring that the set timelines and standards are adhered to.
- Sourcing proper form of documentation for each type of transaction.
- Assisting in ensuring that the drafted document covers all issues and adequately protects the Company interests
Supporting the legal department in respect of Company’s corporate and commercial matters including intellectual property matters:
- Obtaining proper instructions for registration of intellectual property from the relevant User Group.
- Assisting to take steps to register some marks requiring registration.
- Following up with the Regulatory bodies to ensure that all queries raised in the registration process are addressed and cleared.
- Flagging any breach of the company’s intellectual Property rights in accordance with legal provisions
- Putting lease agreements in place for all leased properties, registration of lease agreements
- Creating the list of sites
- Regularizing all equipment hosting and site sharing agreements
- Fully updating Physical virtual data room.
- Setting up Physical Virtual Data Room and ensure that legal documents are filed and scanned.
- Registering of all documents to be updated weekly.
Contract Drafting, Review and Management:
- To help in reviewing and drafting of corporate and commercial contracts within agreed timelines, in compliance to applicable law and protecting company interests.
- Review all contracts or any other documentation where the Company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Drafting of Commercial Agreements to eliminate the chances of litigation and safeguarding organizational interest.
- Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- Supporting in management of litigation, ADR, out of Court Settlements.
- Supporting in Reviewing progress of outstanding litigation
- Supporting in achieving effective and favorable closure of court cases.
- Supporting to reduce disputes going for arbitration /litigation by ensuring amicable resolution in consultation with the relevant department.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- A minimum of University degree in Law would be desirable.
- 3-5 years’ experience in handling compliance, contractual /commercial related legal matters.
- Candidate must have up to date knowledge of commercial law, including but not limited to:-
- Legal Drafting;
- General Contract Law
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Telecommunication Industry Structure and business models;
- Employment Law and practice;
- Intellectual Property Law
- More than two years working in similar or related job(s)
- Microsoft office hands-on and analytical experience
- Interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- Negotiating and influencing skills
- Excellent communication and presentational skills
- Creative and problem solving skills; listening and learning skills
- Analytical & numeracy skills will be added advantage
- Leveraging and respecting others, working in teams, build consensus, valued relationships, and appreciation of diversity in teams.
Equal opportunity statement: Airtel Malawi Plc is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we remain fully committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.