Job Purpose and Key responsibilities
|The role holder will be responsible for assisting the Legal Manager in implementing policies and procedures to ensure the business remains fully compliant with all Laws. The role will report to the Legal Manager
- Conducting preliminary review of pleadings and raise requisition for appointment of external Lawyers.
- Review progress of outstanding litigation, liaise with and manage external Lawyers.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Perusing, investigating and authenticating documents in support of legal and Third party claims to;
- Determine their probative value
- Determine their genuineness
- Ascertain their impact on claims
- Ascertaining suitable reserves on claims with legal and third party liability inclinations
- Negotiating payable claims in the company’s interest, including contentious motor and non-motor claims as and when instructed to do so.
- Assessing, commencing and following up recoveries against third parties to completion.
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Attending court as an officer of the company
- Assessing judgments against insured persons and the company and;
- Ascertaining their legal foundations
- Advising the company on chances of a successful appeal
- Determining the professionalism of the Legal representation therein
- Presiding over the claim disputes with clients, and defending the company’s policies and interests,
- Appointing Arbitrators in line with company policy guidelines, monitoring arbitration, protecting the company’s position using the resources at disposal,
- Identifying changes in Laws affecting Insurance and advising the company.
- Ensuring service providers are paid in line with the company’s claims philosophy.
- Provide legal guidance in developing, documenting and implementing processes and policies to effect compliance with evolving legal and regulatory environment.
- Examine, analyze and respond to routine oral and written requests for advice or assistance on legislation.
- Conducting research and providing legal opinion to various stakeholders.
- Drafting legal documents including term sheets, business contracts, business memorandums and other transactional documents as the case may be.
- Maintaining the legal documentation of the company and ensure various schedules and safes are up to date.
- Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the departments’ strategy map, balanced scorecard and Personal Scorecard.
|Key Performance Measures
- Percentage of savings on legal costs
- Turnaround time
- Legal compliance
- Net promoter score
- Accountable to the Legal Manager
- Required to liaise and work closely with all other departments
- Britam customers
- Insurance sector players
- Law firms
- Courts of Law
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
|Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- Diploma in Law from a reputable university
- 3 years working experience
- Experience in a the insurance industry
- Leading and Supervising: Provides team with a clear direction based on the overall strategy and objectives of the department; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledge high potential talent within the team; sets and articulates the vision and values through own personal behaviour.
- Persuading and Influencing: Gains clear agreement and commitment from other; promotes the departmental strategy and objectives during team conversations; promotes ideas on behalf of the team and or department; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage the team’s impression and brand on others.
- Presenting and Communicating Information: Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
- Adhering to Principles and Values: Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; encourages team and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
- Analysing: Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
- Planning and Organising: Sets clearly defined team objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors team performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations: Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.
: International Insurance Business