UNC Project Malawi
Job Summary: Performs testing in assigned areas of the laboratory. Demonstrates skill and knowledge of assigned areas and assists other laboratory technicians in the performance of their duties. Follows Good Clinical Laboratory Practices and quality requirements of the UNC Project.
- Performs processing of laboratory samples according to current protocols, procedures and quality assurance requirements.
- Performs laboratory tests on scheduled benches as assigned by the Lab Director.
- Performs freezer sample storage and retrieval according to current protocols.
- Performs reagent preparation and equipment maintenance according to training and assignment.
- Maintains a high level of precision and accuracy for all work performed.
- Responds to technical and logistical problems encountered in the laboratory in a timely and efficient manner.
- Provides input as required for updating laboratory procedures and procedure manual.
- Prepares lab samples for shipment as needed.
- Meets or exceeds continuing education requirements for the position.
- Assist with implementation of new study protocols, new instrumentation, new methodology and training as needed.
- Assists with training and problem-solving as needed.
- Follows all laboratory procedures including safety guidelines, the use of personal protective equipment and awareness of blood-borne pathogens.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
- Demonstrates a cooperative attitude in relationships with co-workers and other personnel.
- Meets or exceeds quality assurance levels of the laboratory and collaboration.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, patient results, and project operations.
- Serves as an effective representative to physicians, nurses, counsellors and visitors in a courteous and empathetic manner.
- Follows laboratory and collaboration policies.
- Uses all facilities and supplies with care and in a cost-effective manner.
- Assist or carry out other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Director.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Medical Laboratory Science
- At least two years relevant work experience
- Should have experience with Abbot HIV Viral Load and GeneXpert
- Experience with sequencing is preferred.
- Registered with Medical Council of Malawi
- Those with experience in laboratory research will have an added advantage
Method of Application
Please send your applications via email to:
The Country Director
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org