The International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH) is a center in the University of Washington’s Department of Global Health that works in partnership with the University of California, San Francisco. I-TECH has projects in more than 20 countries, and its worldwide staff work with local ministries of health, universities, non-governmental organizations, medical facilities, and other partners to support efficient, well-ordered health care systems that provide high quality care to all citizens. I-TECH Malawi’s HIV Surveillance for Epidemic Control project focuses on provision of comprehensive and cost-effective support for capacity building and implementation of national surveillance systems and the generation of high-quality epidemiological data collected in accordance with international standards.
I-TECH is supporting the National HIV Reference Laboratory in developing local capacity for testing HIVDR samples and implementing other HIV surveillance activities including HIV recency surveillance. This capacity to test HIVDR samples in country will help to reduce delays in processing of surveillance samples and results will be used in a timely manner to inform policy decisions, while Recency results will aid in the identification of individuals who have acquired HIV within the past 6-12 months and may be at higher risk of transmitting HIV. The surveillance work will inform HIV programming and improve targeting of prevention activities to sub-populations and locations where high levels of transmission may be occurring.
Moreover I-TECH is supporting the implementation of different pathogens genome sequencing testing to monitor the present variants in the Country using different platforms such as RT-PCR testing, antigen testing and genome sequencing testing.
I-TECH Malawi has an outstanding opportunity for a Laboratory Technician at National HIV Reference Laboratory (NHRL), PHIM in Lilongwe, Malawi (Temporary employment, 4 months)
The Laboratory Technician will report to the NHRL Lab Manager through the Lab Advisor and assist in supervision of HIVDR genotyping testing and genome sequencing testing for different pathogens.
- Cleaning and disinfecting the laboratory according the daily/weekly procedures
- Perform the required maintenance of the laboratory equipment
- Manage samples reception, registration and proper storage
- Perform regular review of SOPs, documentation, worksheets and templates according to the Quality Management System (QMS) in line with international standards (ISO15189, ISO 17043 and WHO)
- Preparation of positives and negative controls for sequencing testing
- Performing method verifications or validation on new testing as necessary and reporting results
- Performing quantitative and qualitative Viral Load testing.
- Performing genotyping testing of HIVDR using Sanger platform.
- Performing HIVDR genotyping analysis using Recall, WHO QC tool and Stanford db software.
- Performing External Quality Analysis testing and analysis as needed.
- Performing genome sequencing testing and analysis using Oxford Nanopore technologies.
- Performing genome sequencing testing and analysis using Illumina.
- Performing QCs and PTs preparation for HIV, SARS-CoV2 and any other pathogen needed.
- TOT training on sequencing technologies to MoH staff.
- TOT training in Biosafety and biosecurity to MoH staff
- Participation in any new trainings as offered
- Prepare presentations on the activities/results to the stakeholders as needed
- Prepare regular reports on activities performed
- Participate in weekly meetings with the supervisor and prepare regular progresses reports
- Any other activities or training as assigned
- Diploma or Degree in Biomedical Sciences from a recognized institution
- Minimum 3 years of related experience working in a busy molecular laboratory
- Training in HIV drug resistance genotyping by Sanger
- Training in genome sequencing testing by NGS
- Having knowledge and experience in implementing QMS
- Having knowledge and experience in biosafety and biosecurity
- Registered with medical council of Malawi
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND OTHER SKILLS
- Experience in performing and analyzing HIVDR genotyping testing by Sanger and SARS-CoV-2 testing by MinION and Illumina.
Method Of Application
Applications with Curriculum Vitae (CV), three traceable referees and relevant copy certificates should be emailed to: email@example.com
Deadline for receiving applications is 02nd May 2023.
I-TECH Malawi, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all applications. However, only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
For more information about I-TECH, visit our website: http://www.go2itech.org/