Laboratory Supervisor (PCR)
Coordinates the day-to-day scheduling and running of the Department. Requires close work with the Laboratory Director to ensure that the laboratory employees perform their duties in accordance with the requirements of the study protocols, Good Laboratory Practices, and quality requirements of the UNC Project.
- Supervise laboratory personnel ensuring that work is performed in a timely manner and that turn-around times (TAT) are met. Also ensure the quality standards of the laboratory.
- Sets and monitors the daily bench schedules in a timely and effective manner to best utilize staff including bench rotation, coverage and leave schedules.
- Assign bench rotations, special projects and training assignments as needed
- Liaise with the Laboratory Director, Study Investigators and all relevant staff ensuring that research and project protocols run smoothly.
- Assist the Laboratory Director with smooth department meetings, invoicing, budgets and supply inventories as needed.
- Carries out regular appraisals/evaluations of staff under the Laboratory Director’s direction according to UNC Project format and policy.
- Attends regular project staff meetings.
- Arrange purchases of laboratory supplies as designated under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Director or any other project Lab Consultant authorized by the Country Director.
- Acts as a liaison between the UNC Project and Kamuzu Central Hospital where designated to do so under direct supervision of the Laboratory Director and/or Country Director.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, patient results and project operations.
- Performs laboratory tests on all scheduled benches as needed and /or assigned.
- Work closely with laboratory staff in interpreting diagnostic laboratory tests.
- Provide supervisory review of bench results prior to release to clinic.
- Assist with QA review and support the QA program.
- Responds to technical and logistical problems encountered in the laboratory in a timely and efficient manner.
- Monitor critical value response to physicians and clinic staff.
- Works closely with the Laboratory Director on writing and maintaining laboratory procedure manuals.
- Monitors laboratory staff for compliance with approved procedures.
- Works closely with the Laboratory Director regarding maintenance, monitoring, and troubleshooting of problems for all laboratory instrumentation.
- Ensure that daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual maintenance of laboratory equipment is performed properly and in a timely manner.
- Ensures the maintenance of source documents as per current laboratory SOPs.
- Meets or exceeds continuing education requirements for the position.
- Organises study sample shipments as needed.
- Assist with implementation of new study protocols, new instrumentation, new methodology and training as needed.
- Works closely with the Laboratory Director, Laboratory Technicians, and Receptionists in the daily operation of the laboratory computer system for reporting results as well as monitoring workload and potential problems.
- Provide appropriate coverage of Laboratory Director’s duties during their absence as assigned such as invoicing, ordering or responding to queries and problems.
- Supports and monitors laboratory safety programs.
- Follows and ensures that other subordinate employees follow all laboratory procedures including safety guidelines, the use of personal protective equipment and awareness of blood-borne pathogens.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc in Biomedical Sciences/BSc in Biomedical Laboratory Technology
- Master’s Degree in Biomedical Sciences/Biomedical Laboratory Technology may be an added advantage
- At least three years relevant work experience
- Should have experience with Abbot HIV Viral Load and GeneXpert
- Experience with sequencing is preferred.
- Registered with Medical Council of Malawi
- Experience in laboratory research will have an added advantage
Method of Application
Please send your applications via email to:
The Country Director