Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO)
Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO) is a local registered NGO that has been operating in Malawi since 1997. As our mission, YONECO is committed to empowering youth, women and children, promoting good health, human rights and democratic culture, adapting and mitigating the impact of climate change and conducting research for evidence-based programming and advocacy. YONECO envisions a self-reliant, healthy, empowered, resilient, responsible, and inclusive society that respects democratic values and principles.
YONECO is inviting a suitably qualified and experienced person to apply for the post of Key Populations Advisor for the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) funded project entitled Addressing Unmet Need in HIV Testing Services (HTS) for Men and Key Populations for HIV/AIDS Services Through Effective Delivery Models in Malawi under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The project supports interventions promoting and delivering HIV prevention, testing, care and treatment services for the key populations (KPs) in Mwanza, Chiradzulu, and Chikwawa Districts.
Key Populations Advisor
Job Title : Key Populations Advisor
Reports to : Project Director
Location : Zomba
Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and ensure appropriate support for the implementation of program activities in HIV prevention for key and vulnerable populations, including integration of TB/HIV services for co-infected patients and lead the design of structural interventions to prevent HIV among key populations, including those that address gender inequalities, stigma and discrimination and the legal rights and status of key populations, and economic barriers. The KP Technical Lead will lead the KP team to implement targeted and high-quality interventions that achieve project goals, objectives and project targets. S/he will identify opportunities for innovation and address bottlenecks. S/He will ensure that KP-friendly, innovative services are provided that meet the target population. S/he will use project data to inform the
development and adaptation of best practices. S/he will be responsible for representing the YONECO’s KP program interventions in donor, partner and MoH meetings; and for ensuring alignment with their priorities and guidance.
- Provide leadership and management for the Key Population program component in the project to ensure that implementation of activities for KP are by work plans designed to meet targets and deliverables;
- Provide technical assistance, capacity building, support and supervision to district staff on KP activities
- Work closely with the local sub-grantees, monitor their performance, provide timely feedback, and
support them to meet targets and deliverables.
- Inform Project leadership of any gaps and challenges the sub-partner is facing that impede their ability to perform
- Work with district teams to map and identify key populations in selected districts.
- Develop strategies to improve linkage and referral of key populations for services at both facility and
- Together with KP provider partner, build the capacity of health facilities to provide services for HIV cascade to all KPs and improve linkages and referral to support networks.
- Manage the KP activity budget and ensure staff adhere to budget lines. Coordinate with the project manager to ensure prompt reporting on expenditure, and resource gaps;
- Recruit and train Peer Educators (PEs) to ensure the implementation of activities related to HIV/AIDS, TB, SRH, STI management and PMTCT.
- Track key performance indicators and strategies to determine progress in achievement of targets and
innovations across supported districts
- Together with KP service partners, conduct targeted site supervision visits to supported health units in the district to provide technical assistance, capacity building and mentorship of health worker
- Ensure that supplies and commodities for the KPs are available at all times, and reports submitted timely. Spearhead strategies to address condom and lubricant accessibility and acceptability.
- Promote strategies that improve adherence, retention and viral load suppression among KPs
- Identify and address bottlenecks that impact on access to health services by KP
- Support networks of people living with HIV among the KP
- Perform other related duties as requested by your supervisor.
- Work closely with the project Manager, Finance and Admin staff, and HR team to ensure compliance with financial, HR and administrative procedures, and ensure efficient use of project resources;
- Manage staff performance and coordinate closely with the HR team to address performance gaps as well as recognizing high performers;
- Work closely with the district team to ensure effective utilization of the budget and coordinate with the district team leader to ensure prompt reporting on expenditure and resource gaps;
- Ensure compliance with financial, HR and administrative procedures, and ensure efficient use of resources.
- Comply with YONECO policies, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- All staff irrespective of their position are expected to comply with and follow YONECO operational procedures, policies, and codes of conduct.
Communication and Knowledge Management
- Represent KP project progress, achievements and lessons learned to CDC and PEPFAR, coordinating with the CDC Malawi KP focal person;
- Collaborate with key stakeholders in PEPFAR and non-PEPFAR funded programs and other related program activities;
- Maintain excellent relationships with the donor, MOH, partners and stakeholders;
- Maintain effective internal communications to ensure that all relevant department functions are kept informed of strategies;
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation,
- Support drafting of project reports and results to the donor, including routine monthly, quarterly, annual and other reporting requirements as requested; and ensure sharing of information and knowledge with other country programs, and with the donor, to contribute to systems that support knowledge management;
- Author/co-author abstracts presentations, manuscripts, and success stories; collaborate with the communications specialist to develop stories for internal/ external use, and work with the communications specialist to deliver on the project’s communication plan, and ensure consistent utilization of the organization’s brand.
New Program Development
- Identify strategic opportunities for the project and potential areas for expansion of existing projects in
YONECO’s portfolios and make recommendations to pursue these opportunities;
- Facilitate the development of innovative project approaches and interventions;
- Support the development/review of strategies, including technical direction for achieving program goals as well as management effectiveness;
- All staff irrespective of their position are expected to comply with and follow YONECO operational procedures and policies, and codes of conduct.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Nursing, Gender, Community Development and or related advanced
degree with at least three years’ experience in programming, preferably HIV/AIDS programs, with
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Nursing, Gender, and Community Development plus a minimum of 7 years’ experience working in HIV/Programming with at least 2 of these in programs with key and priority populations
- Understanding of KP programming and evidence-based approaches; awareness of prevention packages and MOH priorities in this area
- Sensitive to the needs of special populations and a commitment and passion for working with KP
- Familiarity with the administrative structures and knowledge of who comprises the key stakeholders in a community
- Strong understanding of PEPFAR and Malawian Government HIV priorities, and familiarity with MOH guidelines, policies and strategic priorities
- Able to demonstrate innovative thinking in programming Understanding of evidence-based programming
- Articulate in written and spoken English with effective communication skills, and excellent interpersonal and written and oral presentation skills;
- Ability to meet work plan deadlines and targets, at times under pressure
- Able to coach and mentor others and share skills within the team
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills.
Method Of Application
If you are interested in this post, email your application letter, detailed curriculum (CV) with three traceable
referees and copies of your certificates to: email@example.com. Please indicate the position you are
applying for as the subject of your email.
You can also send by post to:-
The Executive Director
Youth Net and Counselling
P.O. Box 471
The deadline for applications is January 19, 2024. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged and invited
Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO) is an equal opportunities employer, has safeguarding measures in
place and special groups are encouraged to apply.