Youth Net and Counselling
Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO) is local registered NGO that has been operating in Malawi since 1997. As our mission, YONECO is committed to empowering youth, women and children, promoting good health, human rights and democratic culture, adapting and mitigating the impact of climate change and conducting research for evidence-based programming and advocacy. YONECO envisions a self – reliant, healthy, empowered, resilient, responsible, and inclusive society that respects democratic values and principles.
YONECO is inviting suitably qualified and experienced persons to apply for various positions for the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) funded project entitled Addressing Unmet Need in HIV Testing Services (HTS) for Men and Key Populations for HIV/AIDS Services Through Effective Delivery Models in Malawi under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The project supports interventions promoting and delivering HIV
prevention, testing, and care and treatment services for men and members of key populations (KPs) in Mzimba, Lilongwe, Blantyre, Mwanza, Chiradzulu, and Chikwawa districts.
YONECO intends to recruit suitable and a qualified staff for the vacant positions below:
Job Title: Key Population Officer
Reports to: KP Advisor
Location: Chiradzulu, Chikwawa, Mwanza and Mzimba
The KP Project Officer will work with the district teams to implement the KP project Key Populations (KP) components of the project. This will include ensuring that KP-friendly, innovative services are provided that meet the target population. S/he will support health care workers and Peer Educators (PEs) in providing KP HIV interventions and other services in order to improve KP access to a HIV prevention package at both community and health unit levels.
- Work under the leadership of the KP Advisor to provide support for the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Comprehensive HIV prevention program, HIV testing services and linkage for key population.
- Initiate and encourage best practices in the field of comprehensive HIV prevention program, HIV testing services and linkage services to key populations.
- Support partner sites, collaborating NGOs / CSOs and other partners to provide comprehensive HIV prevention program, HIV testing services and linkage services, in accordance with policies and guidelines and internationally recognized best practices.
- Support Community facilitators, Outreach Workers and Case managers to conduct sessions and provide HTS services in the communities with linkage.
- Facilitate referral and linkages of all HIV positive children of KPs to ART treatment, care and support services.
- Carry out initiatives to enhance retention in care and reduce loss to follow of HIV positive KP clients
- Ensure quality ART adherence services to HIV positive C-KP
- Facilitate STI screening and syndromic management of C-KP beneficiaries
- Encourage proper documentation using recommended tools both at community and facility levels
- Work with other program staff including the district KP focal person and thematic areas to map out strategies to achieve set program objectives and cover gaps identified.
- Work with key population networks and other organizations to advance advocacy priorities of key populations living with HIV
- Facilitate viral load monitoring and testing for all HIV positive KPs in the program who are on ART and are eligible.
- And any other delegated task that enhances your skills.
Required Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in health related field with evidence of further study
- 5-6 years’ experience working in HIV/Programming with at least 2 of these in programs with key populations
- Understanding of KP programming and evidence-based approaches; awareness of prevention packages and MOH priorities in this area
- Sensitive to needs of special populations and a commitment and passion for working with KP
- Familiarity with the administrative structures and knowledge of who comprises the key stakeholders in a community
- Previous experience working with PEPFAR funded programs an advantage
- Able to demonstrate innovative thinking in programming
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills in English and interpersonal skills (Chichewa)
- Ability to meet work plan deadlines and targets, at times under pressure
- Understanding of evidence-based programming
- Able to coach and mentor others and share skills within the team
- Excellent organizational skills and able to work independently with strong problem-solving skills.
Method of Application
If you are interested in any of the positions, email your application letter, CV (with three traceable referees) and copies of your certificates to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the position you are applying for as the subject of your email.
You can also send by post to:
The Executive Director,
Youth Net and Counselling,
P.O Box 471,
Youth Net and counselling (YONECO) is an equal opportunity employer, has safeguarding measures in place and special groups are encouraged to apply.