Project Overview and Role:
PROPEL Health is a USAID-funded five-year global project awarded to Palladium on September 23, 2022. PROPEL Health Malawi aims to improve the enabling environment for equitable and sustainable health services, supplies, and delivery systems through: (1) policy development and implementation, (2) adequate, predictable, and sustainable health financing, (3) enhanced government stewardship, transparency, and accountability, and (4) use of evidence-based advocacy approaches at global, national, and subnational levels to promote best practices. Cross-cutting approaches include FP/RH integration into MCH, HIV & primary healthcare; gender equity & equality; digital health technology; capacity development & localization; collaborating, learning & adapting & knowledge management; diversity, equity, inclusion & accessibility; sustainability. PROPEL Health Malawi works with Government and several key actors from across multiple health and development sectors, private stakeholders, civil society, youth, and other implementing partners to integrate policies and approaches for more effective and efficient delivery. The project actively supports USAID’s localization strategy by drawing on local actors to co-create our country designs and lead implementation, monitoring, and evaluation focusing on FP/RH, MNCH, Nutrition, HIV, TB, and malaria.
One of the strategies for improving that environment will be capacity building of young leaders through internship. It is on that basis that the terms of reference have been developed to guide effective and impactful internship program within PROPEL Health and through other implementing partners PROPEL Health will collaborate with in the five-year project.
The main objective of the internship programme is to contribute towards the development and enhancement of young people’s professional and educational experience through immersion in the workplace and practical work assignments.
It is expected that at the end of the internship period, the young people will have acquired knowledge and developed skills which will propel them for excellence in employment and/or self-employment, bolster their professional profiles and growth and that of the organizations they go on to join.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Support in planning, implementation and monitoring of the PROPEL Health Malawi or host organization activities:
- Participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, workshops, and training sessions organized by PROPEL Health Malawi or host organization or those invited to participate.
- Contribute towards development of materials/tools that align to project delivery.
- Support documentation through note taking, drafting success stories, brief activity results, activity reports, and other communication materials.
- Provide peer-to-peer support to other youth leaders within youth led structures such as youth networks and youth Organizations.
- Contribute to monitoring, evaluation, and learning agenda.
- Any other duties assigned.
Within PROPEL Health:
- The interns will work under the direct supervision of the Technical Advisors and Managers who are based in Lilongwe.
Within Collaborating Partners
- The interns will work under the direct supervision of the Technical Leads implementing PROPEL Health Malawi supported activities. PROPEL Health will also provide technical oversight in collaboration with the supervisor at the host organization.
- The intern will directly report to the Technical Advisor through weekly technical meetings where applicable or as the host organization’s requirements.
- The intern will be required to submit monthly reports based on agreed activities and deliverables.
- The intern will be required to communicate with their immediate supervisors physically and/or virtually on his/her wellbeing, the progress of the work, and learning as per agreed timelines.
Performance Development Tracking
The performance of work will be monitored through:
- Completion and quality of tasks specified in the work plan.
- Compliance with the established deadlines for submission of deliverables.
- Demonstration of high standards in cooperation and communication with PROPEL Health Malawi and counterparts where applicable.
- Professional networking and conduct.
For this internship, the key considerations will be:
- Ability to understand and communicate in English both written and oral.
- Should be able to speak one or more local languages.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Proactiveness to plan, implement and report tasks.
- Industrious to achieve set goals.
- Problem solving to overcome challenges and barriers in executing tasks .
- Critical and analytical thinking.
- Quantitative skills.
Notwithstanding, other desired skills, competencies and education qualifications may be specified depending on the nature of the assignment the interns will be needed to participate in.
- Applicants must be between 18-25 years old.
- Minimum education qualification of MSCE, IGSCE or equivalent.
- Applicants should disclose any relatives currently working for Palladium or institutions collaborating with Palladium projects.
Duration of Internship:
Depending on the needs, opportunity, availability of funds among others, the internship period will vary as follows:
- Internship to last up to 3 months with possibility of extension.
Conditions of Offer:
- The internship may not commence unless the letter of confirmation and conditions regarding service is signed by both PROPEL Health and the intern.
- The intern will be expected to sign and abide by the safeguarding policy.
- Interns are not considered full staff members of PROPEL Health or host organizations, therefore are not entitled to fringe benefits.
- Interns will perform their functions under the authority of, and in full compliance with the instructions from the PROPEL Health Malawi or host organization supervisor.
- The intern is responsible for covering own costs associated with accommodation, living expenses and travel to duty station. Duty station in this case is applied to mean the designated place where the intern will be required to work on day-to-day basis.
- The internship does not guarantee employment with PROPEL Health Malawi or the host organization.
Method of Application
Interested applicants must send four documents:
- Application Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Reference Letter
- Proof of completion of studies (e.g., Copy of Certificate or Notification of Results from their recent schooling institution).
Closing Date for receiving application is Friday November 3rd, 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – Palladium is committed to embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into everything we do. We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity and expression, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or for any other circumstance, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch to discuss.
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.