Family Health Services (FHS)
Family Health Services (FHS), formerly known as PSI Malawi, has partnered with the government of Malawi through the Ministry of Health (MoH) since 1994 in safeguarding the health of Malawians by using private sector approaches to reconfigure healthcare delivery – (i) through directly delivering innovative social and behaviour change communications, social marketing and social franchising across a wide range of health areas including Reproductive Health, HIV, Malaria and water-borne disease prevention (ii) by playing a market facilitation role, approaching market challenges and opportunities with a system-wide lens that unlocks a self-sustaining market with multiple players that can prioritize, adapt and ultimately thrive without external assistance and funds.
While being a local organisation with deep roots in Malawi, Family Health Services is globally connected; mainly through affiliation to Population Service International (PSI), a Washington DC based non-governmental and non-profit making organization that boasts a global network of members across over 50 countries through which FHS continues to leverage capacities, learnings, and best practice to enhance activities in Malawi. To accomplish its mission, FHS is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position of HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER.
Reporting to the Head of Human Resources, the Human Resources Manager will be responsible for implementing the HR Strategy and supporting the Head of Human Resources to develop and deliver sound and integrated Human Resources solutions including managing recruitment, Performance Management, workforce Planning, Human Resources Information system, employee relations, job grading, staff movements, review of policies and procedures, Training and development, HR reporting, budgeting and FHS employees contract management while adhering to HR best practices as governed by the minimum standards preserved in the Malawi Labour laws. Specifically, he/she will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities;
Management of Recruitment and Selection Process
- Oversee the end-to-end recruitment and selection processes whilst ensuring that the hiring departments comply with recruitment policy and procedure including recruitment strategy ensuring that FHS achieves its DEI KPIs.
- Review justifications for recruitment of new positions that are not in the approved manpower plans by assessing the alignment to business needs, affordability and FHS strategy
- Oversee that due diligence in line with Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy on safe recruitment are conducted including reference checks, background checks and police clearance
- Organize inductions for newly recruited staff, including facilitating the setting of the probationary objectives and confirmations/extensions of employees after the probationary period in collaboration with hiring managers
Initiate the process of performance management and ensure that managers and supervisors engage with members of staff working under them in setting annual
- Manage and Monitor the implementation of the performance management system across all departments of FHS
- Prepare and communicate the performance management schedule to all levels of staff Biannually for adherence and submissions
- Support managers and members of staff on performance management issues to ensure that performance management reviews/appraisals are meaningful through performance improvement strategies such as coaching, counseling, redeployment and exiting based on employee’s performance reviews
- Produce annual performance management reports indicating areas of improvement, recommendations and merit increase to Senior Leadership
- Submit performance management statistics to be fed in the organizational Key
- Manage the Performance indicators (KPI) data base
Managing Employee Relations
- Bridge the gap between management and employees on matters that affect employment relationship
- Plan and organize disciplinary/grievance hearings in accordance with the organization disciplinary and grievance policy and procedures ensuring that the process is both substantively and procedurally fair.
- Provide guidance to the disciplinary committee on the due processes
- Advise management on labor relations matters and ensure that decisions that are taken comply with minimum legal requirements and statutes affecting employment relationship
- Provide guidance to managers, supervisors and employees on the handling of discipline and grievances
- Represent FHS at the Labor Office and Industrial Relations Court as appropriate including collaborating with FHS legal counsel on cases that require legal representation
Management of Job Grading and Evaluation Processes
- Plan and organize the job evaluation and grading meetings and collaborate with the job grading committee to ensure that new jobs are graded
- Work as a secretary to the Job grading and evaluation committee and produce signed reports by members of the committee for approval
- Support managers in the development and/or review of job descriptions in in line with the FHS job description architecture and career levels
Managing the Human Resources management information system
- Oversee employee data management in the HRIS ensuring data integrity
- Manage employee personnel files and initiating the update of the files
- Facilitate staff trainings (both fresh and refresher) for the HRIS and ensure that all staff are able to use the self-service module and navigate through the different steps
Human Resources Policies and procedure
- Identify and addressing gaps in Human Resources policies, procedures and practices by collaborating with the Head of Human Resource in the periodic review and development of HR policies, procedure and practice based on the identified gaps
- Provide guidance to both managers and subordinates through coaching and mentoring on the interpretation and implementation of Human Resources policies and procedures to ensure consistence, fairness and foster a positive organizational culture.
Training and Development
- Collaborate with all FHS members of staff in making sure that everyone has done a refresher training in code of conduct, COI and submission of completion evidence and that the same is fed in the FHS organizational Key Performance Indicator Data base
- Facilitate the development of the annual training plan by collaborating with managers ensuring that staff training needs/gaps are captured in the P&L form and monitor its implementation inline with the HR policy
- Participate in the formulation of the FHS operational goals annually
- Contribute to the development of the Human Resources strategy and annual departmental plan
- Implement the approved departmental plan by tracking progress on the objectives set and review it quarterly
- Prepare and submit Human Resource department monthly reports to the Head of Human Resource for appropriate management decisions
- Produce HR analytics for strategic workforce decision making
- Contribute to the development of the HR budget and provide monitoring support of its implementation
Employee Contracts Management
- Manage FHS Staff contracts in line with funding cycles and HR policies including the documentation process of all contracts in employees’ personal files
- Collaborate with program managers to solicit list of staff for non-renewal of contracts and communicate the same to the affected members of staff at least on month before the end of the contract
Qualifications, Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, psychology, or any relevant field.
- At least 5 years of HR generalist experience at management level in organizations of 100+ full time employees.
Method of Application
Qualified candidates with the specified qualifications and experience should submit their application letters together with detailed curriculum vitae with names and contact details of at least three traceable referees with the job position in the subject line by 18th January, 2023, to The Head of Human Resources, Family Health Services, Box 30132, Lilongwe through: email@example.com
Family Health Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of religion, colour, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity, or expression, pregnancy or related medical conditions. Family Health Services maintains zero tolerance for child abuse, sexual abuse, or exploitative acts or threats by our employees, consultants, volunteers, contractors, or anyone associated with the delivery of our programs and services, and takes seriously all complaints of misconduct brought to our attention.
Family Health Service has become aware of scams involving false job offers. Please be advised: Family Health Services will never ask for a fee during any stage of the recruitment process. All active jobs are advertised directly in the newspapers or vetted career websites. Official FHS emails will always arrive from a @fhs.org email address.
Please report any suspicious communications to firstname.lastname@example.org