Orant Charities Africa (OCA)
Position: Human Resources and Administration Manager
Reports to: Country Director
Duty Location: Kasese, Dowa, Malawi
Orant Charities Africa(OCA) is a non-government organization serving in rural communities of Malawi. It was founded and registered as an NGO in Malawi in 2014. OCA serves in Malawi through healthcare and implementing development programs.It operates in the following thematic areas; Healthcare, Water and Sanitation, Education, Agriculture and Business. The highest number of employees falls under the Healthcare program which includes Kasese Health Centre and Mobile Outreach Clinic team. We are currently in the market seeking to hire a Human resources and Administration(HR&A) Manager to be based at Kasese in Dowa district.
The Human Resources and Administration (HR&A) Manager will lead, direct and manage the day to day human resources and administrative activities for the head office. The HR&A Manager will provide oversight and guidance to the development and monitoring of processes related to recruitment and selection, retention, compensation and benefits, compliance, training and development, performance management; as well as overseeing administrative functions. He/she will provide strategic guidance on HR matters to the office.
Job Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Recruitment and Selection, Retention
- Develop and oversee a recruitment process which complies with local labour laws and international best practice.
- Review job descriptions and conduct job analysis prior to advertising a job, screen CVs, conduct telephone screenings, coordinate interview teams,participate in interviewing and selecting candidates as well as ensuring that all documentation is collected and recorded/filed.
- Oversee all labour engagement for the office and manage the new hire orientation and exit processes.
Strategic Human Resource Management
- Develop and implement HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall programs in consultation with senior management.
- Develop and monitor overall HR strategies, systems, tactics and procedures across the organization.
- Support current and future business needs through the development, engagement, motivation and preservation of human capital.
Compliance and Record Keeping
- Annually review the Personnel Handbook recommending amendments needed to the Country Director due to changes in labour laws and/or local conditions.
- Ensure legal compliance throughout human resource management including advising management on applicable policies.
- Manage HR documents such as employee contracts, time sheets ensuring timely preparation and submission, proper approvals, accuracy and filing.
Compensation and Benefits
- Monitor compensation and benefits -ensuring internal equity and compliance.
- Facilitate job analysis and update job descriptions.
Payroll and Budget
- Coordinate with the Finance Officer in the preparation of monthly payroll.
- Advise the Country Director on appropriate staffing levels and assist in budget preparation.
- Review the payroll for accuracy and compliance with local labour laws.
Training and Development and Performance Reviews
- Evaluate the need for staff training and development and make recommendations to the Country Director.
- Oversee and manage a performance appraisal system that drives high performance.
- Ensure high performing employees are properly rewarded.
- Work with senior management to resolve employee relations issues pragmatically.
- Investigate employee relations issues and work to ensure that human resources related decisions are consistent and fair.
- Ensure the disciplinary code of conduct is followed, proper disciplinary action is taken and minutes of disciplinary hearing are kept accordingly.
- Nurture a positive working environment by attending to workers’ grievances and responding to them in real time, bridging management and employee relations by addressing staff demands, grievances or other issues.
- Ensure smooth running of all administrative functions at the head office.
- Supervise all travel arrangements for staff and visitors, including visas and work permits as applicable.
- Write administrative Memos and get them approved prior to sharing to staff.
- Ensure proper record keeping and filing of important administrative office documentation and manage office archives.
- Write informative quarterly reports and submit them to the Country Director.
- Represent Orant Charities Africa in the public sphere
- Act as a liaison between the Country Director and other public or private actors
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Officer to share public information
Desired Experience, Skills and Qualification
Required Minimum Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources management or related discipline
Required Minimum Experience
- Experience in hospital/medical settings will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a busy office.
- Intimate working knowledge with the Malawi labour laws
Knowledge and Skills
- High levels of integrity, confidentiality, and excellent professionalism.
- Ability to manage emotions and interactions in the organisation.
- Ability to work in rural set-up.
- Ability to work effectively and collaborate as part of a culturally diverse team.
- Mature person who is resilient and able to withstand pressure of work and demands of employees.
- Strong understanding of confidentiality as it relates to human resources.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills both in local language and English.
- Strategic thinking ability
- Proven ability to multitask
Tools Used at OCA
- Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.
- Word, Excel
Method Of Application
Applicants should submit the following application materials: CV, copies of certificates, cover letter and three professional references through the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Monday, 15th May,2023.
Hand delivered hard copy applications will not be accepted. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for interviews. No telephone inquiries please.
OCA is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, gender or gender identity, religion, language, political or other opinion, age, disability, property, birth, marital or other status or family responsibilities unrelated to job requirements. OCA will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, religion, language, political or other opinion, disability, property, birth, marital or other status or family responsibilities.
To apply for this job please visit orantcharitiesafrica.org.