Our client, a well reputable premier resort destination in the heart of Lilongwe City is currently seeking an experienced Hotel Operations Manager to join their dynamic team. As the Operations Manager, you’ll be a key member of the Executive Team, reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Your primary focus will be to oversee the daily operations of the Hotel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for all aspects of the hotel, guiding the business and entire team to thrive. Oversee the day-to-day operations, managing the sales, revenue, and marketing. Responsible for developing a team can deliver in keeping with the company’s vision, mission, and policies. We look forward to welcoming you to the team, anticipating the incredible impact you’ll have on our client’s business!
- Hotel Operations
- Organize, coordinate, and oversee the efficient and effective operation of the entire establishment.
- Tour and inspect property on a daily basis and monitor for property cleanliness, safety and security, quality control and exceptional service.
- Regular site inspection and preventative maintenance walk-about to ensure the property is always in excellent state of upkeep.
- Upholding the guidelines provided by management and ensure that all staff adhere to the set rules, regulations, and guidelines.
- Organizing and coordinating the use and rental of the establishment’s spaces for accommodation, meetings, conferences, social events, weddings, parties etc
- Ensure regularly scheduled processes such as stocktaking are carried out accordingly and effectively.
- Regular meetings with heads of department and communication with all employees
- Ensure the establishment is fully compliant with all relevant statutory and local authority regulations such as health and safety in respect of the operation of establishment as a business and employer.
- Prepare and implement standard operating procedures (SOP) for every department.
- Conducts shift briefings to ensure hotel activities and operational requirements are known.
- Supervise front office operations during assigned shift including:
- Maintenance of guest information
- Maintenance of information about local events
- Compile occupancy statistics
- Supervise group bookings
- Assisting with serious complaints.
- Be aware of duty of care and adhere to occupational, health and safety legislation, policies, and procedures.
- Be familiar with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures and operate equipment safely and sensibly.
- Initiate action to correct a hazardous situation and notify supervisors of potential dangers.
2. Customer Service and management
- Be highly visible and interface with guests on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality-of-service levels and overall satisfaction.
- Personally involved in resolving guest complaints to ensure high level of guest satisfaction.
- Set service recovery measures to address customer complaints and rectify customer service issues.
- Maintain and instill a culture of warmth and welcoming to guest, ensuring the highest level of treatment and customer service to customers, clients and guests.
- Instill a culture of top-notch guest or customer care standards.
3. Financial Administration and Revenue increase
- Responsible for monthly and weekly revenue/expense forecasting.
- Participate in preparing annual revenue and expense budgets.
- Ensure the management team have set targets in terms of cost control, sales, and gross profit.
- Monitor adherence to cost control measures and budgets.
- Analyse month end reports that should include accurate financial statements, guest comments surveys and marketing activity reports.
- Monitor daily sales report and monthly revenue report including costs/expenses.
- Formulate a marketing plan to increase the market share through outside sales and promotions, familiarization visits (site inspections), sales calls and attendance of tourism expos or trade shows.
- Participate in preparing annual revenue and expense budgets.
- Review sales goals and strategies to ensure alignment with the brand business strategy and proper pricing and positioning of the property in the market.
- Identify business growth opportunities and prepare relevant strategy to harness such opportunities.
- Supervise cashiering activities during shift including:
- Cash handing and banking procedure
- Dealing with irregular payment
- Instructing staff in credit policies and facilities
- Instructing staff in cash security procedures
- Carry out debtor control
- Supervise the cashiering system.
- Working with General manager to ensure the departmental performance of staff is productive. Duties include:
- Conduct on-the-job training in accordance with the departmental standards and procedures and maintain a record of progress for each staff member.
- Provide input for probation and formal performance appraisal discussions in line with company guidelines.
- Ensure new staff attend Corporate Orientation within the first month of hire.
- Coach, counsel, and discipline staff in breach of hotel policies and departmental procedures, providing constructive feedback to enhance performance.
5. Employee Management and Development
- Monitor employee performance through appraisals and develop them through training where necessary.
- Motivate staff and instill the spirit of teamwork for optimal customer service and guest satisfaction.
6. Events Management and Coordination
- Create events packages for Weddings, Birthdays, Dinners and Picnics
- Ensure proper coordination and management including but not limited to:
- Scheduling of events
- Ensuring staff coverage during events
- Ensure adequate and advance ordering of supplies.
- Five years Hotel management experience in a medium to large corporation
- Experience in hospitality, accommodation and resort are a PLUS.
- Excellent communication and customer care skills.
- Strong written and communication skills required with an understanding and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to manage conflict at work and should be a patient listener.
- Adept at problem solving.
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage all aspects of hotel operations.
- Analytical abilities
- Ability to think strategically coupled with good understanding of the hospitality/tourism industry.
Characteristics – You are an ideal candidate if you are:
- Knowledgeable and accomplished professional with the ability to build credibility and trust at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build cohesive professional teams.
- An energetic leader committed to making a difference.
- A leader of people and a builder of dynamic skilled teams.
- Professional, approachable and customer-service oriented.
- Leads by example, energized by a challenge, and will roll up the sleeves when required to get the job done.
- Commitment to adding value to the organization, with a practical view of the big picture.
Submit your applications by Wednesday, January 17, 2024, at 6pm CAT.
Start date: January 29, 2024