Reports to: Project Coordinator
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Start Date: June, 2023
Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
We are currently a technology partner for Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation Malawi under a USAID funded Client-Oriented Response for HIV Epidemic Control (CORE) program. Our role is to develop, implement and support digital innovations to support Baylor’s internal operations for the program, with an overall objective of improving patient outcomes.
We are looking to hire the Health Information Systems (HIS) Officer in Malawi, to work with our local team and grow our digital expertise through implementation, support and maintenance of digital innovations across 5 districts supported by our prime partner Baylor (Mangochi, Phalombe, Machinga, Salima and Balaka). Applicant must be willing to work for a minimum of 3 months in Lilongwe before being deployed/attached to work in one or more districts mentioned above.
What you will do
The HIS officer responsible for implementation will be part of the Program Team and taking a key role in ensuring the successful implementation of our project(s) and that we achieve program objectives. As she/he is mentored by more senior members of the program team, she/he will learn how to effectively implement digital health solutions within existing health systems, and will bring insight learned from field implementation into future programmatic strategies. She/he will play a key role in ensuring program quality at the field level, implementing activities and quality improvement initiatives, and monitoring progress toward performance goals.
As an HIS Officer in the Malawi Office, you will report to the Project Coordinator. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with Operations and Technology teams to meet logistics, procurement, and technology preparation needs to ensure smooth implementation of field activities, including setting up smartphones for new users, and organizing trainings and meetings.
- Support technology deployments and communicate with users with relevant updates and guidance.
- Continually build partner capacity to manage the program, including community health worker and supervisors’ training, troubleshooting, effective mentoring and coaching.
- Participate in project planning and evaluation
- Design and implement trainings and follow-up sessions.
- Work closely with other stakeholders in multiple aspects of program implementation
System testing and deployment
- Support content design process for new technologies and software application, including translation where necessary.
- Test applications for content and usability, and facilitate test sessions with users.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues of mobile devices and applications and work with supervisor and technology team as needed to resolve issues as they arise.
- Proactively document and communicate with supervisor about technological or programmatic issues in the field and work with team to identify solutions; and continuously improve the effectiveness of interventions and digital system.
- Participate in the planning and execution of system deployments
- Coordinate user support remotely both centrally and at district levels
Monitoring and Reporting
- Support data collection, routine program monitoring activities, review of project progress and results, and quality improvement activities.
- Routine monitoring and reporting of system usage by users.
- Write reports about field activities documenting achievements and lessons learned and communicate this to the rest of the project team and leadership.
- Support development of external learning products such as case studies, success stories, and videos.
- Participate in the preparation of presentations summarizing project progress in various fora.
- Communicate clearly with Project Coordinator and team on progress in implementing field activities and challenges to be addressed.
- Communicate regularly with partners on progress of projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. IT, public health).
- At least 1 year of experience implementing mhealth innovations, public health or community development programs in Malawi required
- Excellent written and spoken English and Chichewa
- Excellent analytical skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems.
- Familiar with use of information technology tools such as mobile devices (including smart phones).
- Should be motivated, detail oriented, able to work independently, multi-task, team player and comfortable working in the field in semi urban and rural settings.
- Proven communication skills, including experience conducting trainings and/or supervision of activities.
8,500,000 MWK to 13,080,000 MWK annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity
Method Of Application
To apply for this role please fill in the google form here. Only applicants who respond to all questions and include their CV as well as a thoughtful, tailored cover letter will be considered. Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment.
This position is open to Malawian nationals only.