Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
The HEPU has secured an Foreign Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO) grant through the Health Services Joint Fund (HSJP) to implement a health economics, policy and ethics capacity support programme. HEPU is a joint KUHeS, Ministry of Health (MOH) and University of York initiative and has very strong collaboration with other leading international universities and research institutes as well as the East, Central and Southern Africa (ECSA) Health Community. Through the Thanzi la Onse Project, HEPU and collaborating Partners have built a strong foundation on which health economics, policy and ethics research capacity is to be strengthened. The FCDO grant through the HSJF aims to sustain and strengthen further the capacity already being developed at HEPU.
Applications are therefore being invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant post of Health Economics Research Fellow tenable in Lilongwe.
Reporting to the HEPU Deputy Director, the Research Fellow will work with postdoctoral fellows and be responsible for planning and designing project activities. S/He will work with MOH to assess and identify areas of inefficiencies and draw roadmaps, then develop concept notes, evaluation designs, conduct data collection, writing reports, policy briefs and manuscripts.
The successful candidate will be offered a 2-year contract with initial 6 months as probation period, subject to renewal upon satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
- Assist the Health Economics Theme leads in planning and implementing Health Economics activities of the program
- Participate in and take notes during Think Tank and Policy Lab Meetings
- Work with MOH to develop a framework for level specific EHP definition and propose a UHC oriented approach to financing EHP and non-EHP interventions
- Support MOH to identify areas of inefficiencies in the health sector and draw a roadmap for further analyses and capacity building at national and subnational levels
- Contribute to conceptualization of evaluation of projects assigned by MOH
- Developing concept notes, proposals, and data collection tools ✓ Leading data collection and analyzing data
- Developing report, policy brief and manuscript
- Master’s Degree in Economics or Health Economics or related field
- Those with a PhD or experience in policy engagement or have publications will have added advantage
- Minimum 2 years’ progressive experience in similar position
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in research, study design, and data analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge in framework development
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to summarize and analyse data and present information in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent research methodology and data collection skills
- Ability to organize work plans based on higher level goals
- Strong organizational skills in order to balance competing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to apply research ethics procedures
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet programs and database management.
Method Of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should send their applications including cover letter, CV with names of three traceable referees and copies of relevant certificates to:
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
Mahatma Ghandi Road Campus
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org copy email@example.com
Indicate the position applied for, Health Economics and Policy Unit on the envelope for hard copy applications and indicate the same in the subject line of your email for electronic submissions. Applications should reach the Registrar not later than 15th May, 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org