JOB ADVERTISEMENT – HEAD OF PROCUREMENT AND CONTRACTING
As a federal enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its objective in the field of international cooperation for sustainable
development. GIZ operates in more than 130 countries around the globe. In Malawi, GIZ has been working for
more than 50 years. Malawi is a priority for German international cooperation and currently focuses on three
priority areas: education, health, and private sector development in rural areas. In addition to our work on these areas, we also work on public financial and economic management and social protection.
GIZ is recruiting the Head of Procurement and Contracting in the Country Office based in Lilongwe.
A. Key Responsibilities
- Advisory to projects on planning procurement and contracting
- Reviewing and assigning the requests for procurement of materials and goods, consultancies, construction, services and financing agreements.
- Suggesting procedures for tendering and awarding, opening, quotations and proposals verification, monitoring technical evaluation, conducting financial evaluation.
- Negotiating Corporate Rates Contracts for selected groups of materials and services.
- Archiving of completed procurement and contracts in reference files in line with GIZ rules.
- Arrangements of safe transfers of goods to destination and smooth customs clearance.
B. SCOPE OF WORK
Procurement Capability Development
- Responsible for providing leadership and challenge to the procurement team which include:
development of team capabilities / competencies by ensuring that all procurement team members are fully supported through a learning and development; share knowledge and experience; up-skill competencies; and support and contribute to a stimulating environment that always drives procurement best practise.
- Provides advice and guidelines on procurement matters to projects and departments based on GIZ’s Processes and Regulations (P+ R), recommendations from Audits and Internal Controls (IC).
Other duties/additional tasks
The Head of Procurement shall also be responsible for:
- Contribute to the development of supplier database through organised supplier visits, market surveys and monitoring.
- Processing of Financial Contribution contracts and contract kick-off meetings,
- Contribute to the onboarding of new staff and provide information for welcome day.
- Contributes to the provision of information to update the procurement section on the IDA Page.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
C. Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Masters Degree in Procurement, Supply Chain or Logistics
- Bachelors Degree in Procurement, Logistics and Supply Chain or Level 6- Professional Qualification of Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS)
- Full membership of the Malawi Institute of Procurement and Supply (MIPS)
- Full registered member of Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience and proven ability to deliver excellence in leadership role/s.
- Proven procurement transformational management experience and success. Superior leadership, influencing and negotiating skills.
- Highly effective communication skills, written and verbal. Able to communicate. effectively with colleagues at all levels. Excellent report writing skills; and Strong organisational skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Superior leadership, influencing and negotiating skills.
- Highly effective communication skills, written and verbal. Able to communicate. effectively with colleagues at all levels. Excellent report writing skills; and
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Strategic thinking and problem solving skills
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Demonstrated knowledge of procurement
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, DMS, SAP)
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Method Of Application
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should submit their electronic detailed Curriculum
Vitae (CV), copies of certificates, and one-paged cover letter, demonstrating how you are meeting the above requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following reference code of the call for application is strictly to be indicated in the subject line of the
applicant’s email: CO/PCS/2024/01/Name of applicant.
All applications should be addressed to:
The Head of HR
P.O. Box 31131
The deadline for receiving applications is 7th February 2024. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from individuals regardless of gender, disability, race, ethnicity, religion, age, or any other protected characteristic. We embrace diversity and believe that inclusivity in the workplace is essential to our success, and we are committed to creating a work environment where all employees are valued and respected.
Within its activities, GIZ is promoting and protecting human rights, health, and wellbeing, and wishes to contribute to a world free from harm, exploitation, and abuse. Prospective candidates should be willing to adhere to GIZ’s Child Protection Principles, and Prevent Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment.