University of Malawi
Head Of Internal Audit
As a senior member of staff, the Head of Internal Audit has a critical role in developing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reviewing audit policies, plans and procedures and systems. The Head of Internal Audit will serve as an independent review and appraisal of the fiscal and administrative operations of the university. The individual will provide overall leadership in operations of the university internal audit procedures and standards. This is a demanding, but rewarding position suited to a highly motivated, solution-focused and astute strategic leader.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing the overall leadership in operations of the university internal audit;
- Developing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reviewing risk-based internal audit work plans, policies and procedures;
- Establishing and implementing short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures;
- Assessing departmental needs and setting priorities for audit coverage, and developing short- and long-range audit plans;
- Coordinating and performing audit work, approving audit plans, reviewing audit reports prior to formal release, and reviewing supporting workpapers to ensure reports are properly supported.
- Provide technical assistance with investigations, special audits, and provide subject-matter expertise as needed.
- Coordinate with external auditors to ensure the audit work remains within the prescribed guidelines.
- Monitoring and periodically reporting status of audits to Audit Committee of Council;
- Coordinating and interacting with university management, schools, departments, units and staff for audit purposes;
- Consulting with and advising university management, schools, departments, units and staff on adherence to internal operational and administrative issues;
- Keeping abreast of university policies and procedures, current developments in accounting and auditing professions, and changes in regulations as applicable.
- Recommending and participating in the development of university policies and procedures.
- Recommend organization-wide training based on gaps identified to ensure adherence to University’s practices and policies. Supervising and appraising staff.
- Servicing the Audit Committee of Council
- Master’s degree in audit related field from an institution accredited or recognized under the National Council of Higher Education Act and with five (5) years’ experience in a management position.
- Professional accounting qualification (ACCA) and a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and direct a comprehensive internal audit function in a public institutional setting;
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures;
- Ability to analyze and solve problems;
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures;
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations;
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques;
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above expectations are invited to apply for the position by sending their CV, three referees’ contacts and cover letter to; firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com