Story Workshop Educational Trust (SWET)
Story Workshop Educational Trust (SWET) is a leading local, independent, non-profit and non-partisan development media NGO that has been operational in Malawi since 1997.
SWET uses radio, video/TV and theatre for development (TFD) and theatre for policy advocacy (PA) to promote education, health, food security, good governance, human rights and environmental management in order to contribute towards a well-informed, healthy, self-reliant and food-secure rural population that practices democratic values.
In order to effectively realise its objectives and achieve strategic growth, SWET would like to hire highly qualified, experienced, self-motivated, team-oriented and mature individuals, who are willing to work in a busy NGO environment, to fill two vacancies as outlined below:
HEAD OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION (One position)
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Head of Finance and Administration will provide leadership in the management of SWET finances, ensure effectiveness in the deployment of staff and other resources and ensure efficiency in SWET’s administrative activities.
- Overseeing direction and control of the accounting functions in SWET and its projects
- Overseeing a timely preparation of budgets and management accounts in liaison with the Finance Manager and other line managers
- Overseeing a timely preparation of banking facilities, submissions and maintaining a cordial working relationship with banks and donor agencies
- Liaising with external auditors and supervising of preparations for both internal and external audits
- Ensuring that all statutory requirements are met on time i.e. PAYE, income tax, VAT, workers’ compensation, etc
- Ensuring soundness of financial systems and adherence to financial policies and procedures
- Ensuring that the SWET administrative machinery is robust and responsive to the day-to-day needs of staff and the organization
- Ensuring efficient information transfer between and among different groups in the organization i.e. Board, Senior Management, Middle Management and departments
- Ensuring sound internal controls and management information systems in all operations of SWET.
- Ensuring efficient integration and provision of human resources information to stakeholders including staff, Management and Board
- Ensuring proper management of human resources administrative systems related to filing of documents and personnel record keeping
- Maintaining an electronic inventory of forms, pamphlets, etc. as required to ensure that information is correct and up to date, and take corrective action when necessary to ensure the accuracy of information being distributed
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy or related field and ACCA or CIMA qualifications
- At least 5 years’ experience in management positions in a local or international organization
- Strong track record in using relevant computer packages
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Capable of preparing budgets, monthly finance management reports in a timely manner
- Able to deal with donors, partners and stakeholders in a professional manner
- Exhibit a matured and professional disposition
- Able work with minimum supervision
- Demonstrable integrity and ability to promote SWET core values and maintain professional ethical standards at all times Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong computer skills in relevant packages
Terms of employment:
The successful candidate will be employed on an initial one-year contract subject to renewal based on performance and continued availability of funds.
Method Of Application
If you think you meet the job specifications and you are interested to work in an exciting and challenging environment, submit your application letter, photocopies of your original certificates, and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV) with at least three traceable references to:
The Executive Director
Story Workshop Educational Trust
E-mail: email@example.com with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical Address: Smythe Road, Sunnyside, Blantyre
Your application should reach SWET not later than Saturday, 4th November 2023. Only short-listed applications will be acknowledged.
SWET is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply!